Tractor
    2003 Kubota B7500HSD

Default established trees near newer leach field

Hey guys,

Been looking at my 5 year old leach field and wondering about some of the trees that are very close to it. I'm not having any problems, but have always had the understanding that trees are bad to have around septic systems. I'm the second owner of the house, and the first owner planted the field next to 2 scrub cedars and a 40+ foot wild cherry. All are about 5-10 feet from the field. Pretty sure I'm going to take down the cedars just because they are bushy and growing over the field, but I hate to take down that cherry as I don't have many good trees on my property. I can't think that the person who installed it, would've been cool with those trees so close if they weren't ok.

I've been searching now for an hour and can't find much info on planting the field next to these type of trees. I've read that cherries are a better tree to plant close to a field, but they say to put it at least 25 ft away. any ideas?

New England Yankee living in Central Maine
    Tractor
    NH TC30

Default Re: established trees near newer leach field

My leech field is surrounded by 3 apple trees, a line of spruce trees, black berry bush, poplars, honeysyckle. It is about 28 years old. No problems with it. I've pumped the tank 2x in the last 3 years - never realized that the tank was supposed to be pumped out of solids every 5-10 years.
    I thought the roots might mess the leech field up- but they haven't. Everything grows great around the field! In my avatar pic- my tractor is parked on my leech field! My pasture wild cherries have the sweetest cherries I discovered last summer.
    2003 NH TC30, 5' International Agritech Bushog, Hiller/Bedder, + miscellaneous and sundry items of use.

Tractor
    Kubota B2710

Much like tcreeley, my field is surrounded by cedar, alder, and other various fauna that has not encroached into the field to cause any problems.

Tractor
    2003 Kubota B7500HSD

Thanks guys, this makes me feel a little better. I wish i could ask the previous owner of our house, but he passed away actually at the property. He built the house in 05 to retire on. Anyway, I will just go ahead and take out those scrub cedars then, and leave my big cherry. Now if i could just keep the tent caterpillars off of it!

Tractor
    New Holland / T4.75 Powerstar & Boomer 1030, Case 580 SM II

Quote Originally Posted by tcreeley View Post
    My leech field is surrounded by 3 apple trees, a line of spruce trees, black berry bush, poplars, honeysyckle. It is about 28 years old. No problems with it. I've pumped the tank 2x in the last 3 years - never realized that the tank was supposed to be pumped out of solids every 5-10 years.
    I thought the roots might mess the leech field up- but they haven't. Everything grows great around the field! In my avatar pic- my tractor is parked on my leech field! My pasture wild cherries have the sweetest cherries I discovered last summer.
    You're lucky. I can't get more than 28 month's out of my septic tank withouth pumping, otherwise it has too much solids and overflows at the lid, because the screen is plugged.

Tractor
    Kubota L3240

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMonk View Post
    You're lucky. I can't get more than 28 month's out of my septic tank withouth pumping, otherwise it has too much solids and overflows at the lid, because the screen is plugged.
    If you can't go several years something is wrong. There was a thread under rural living that might help.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/r...chemistry.html

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Some trees are bad around septic fields -- willows, poplars for example. But others are fine. I have actually seen a drainfield zig-zagged within the spaces of a planted pine forest!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota b2920

My septic field is surrounded by large hardwoods. They're mostly maple and all are probably 80+ foot tall and have been there since the field was new (about 30 years) and we never had any issues. My understanding is the real issues are when trees start to grow on top of the leach field. I have also heard that cedars are bad as well as the other ones mentioned.