Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3830, Ford Golden Jubilee, 1939 Sears Economy, Polaris Ranger 400, Honda Foreman 450 ES, 2004 Dodge Diesel 3500

Default Re: Best Way to Level Farm Ground

Quote Originally Posted by Robert_in_NY View Post
    For the size property your dealing with I would say the easiest and best way would be to hire a local farmer to come in and turn over the ground and disc it down. You can then work it a little more with your tractor if there are a few low spots you wanted filled in but then seed it down with what ever you want growing on there. Plowing will chase the woodchucks and other burrowing animals out of the field where as just filling in their holes will not make them leave. They will just dig it back out and you have the same problem.
    what he said.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    LS3037H

A properly tuned .30/06 will take care of the deer trails. They move too fast for a roller to get them.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    cx70,5510,4630,5005

a breaking plow can remake the terraces .a light disc will level the soil out.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    NHtd75

Quote Originally Posted by LazySusanFarms View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

The primary purpose for the farm is a pecan grove. While we will not be flood irrigating, we would like the land to be a little more smooth primarily for safety purposes. While the areas under the tree plantings will be stripped of sod, we will keep the rest of the acreage in a ground cover.

Attached are some pictures. We have removed approximately 150 junipers already. Lots of holes to fill.
    That would be a shame to plow native grass that looks that good. Pull the cedars, fill the holes and leave the grass for prairie hay. Plant the pecans down by the river to the left.

Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C

I just went thru this on an 80 that I rented ... first I contol burned it ... then I used the backhoe to hook out all those little cedar and scrub tree's. Burning it off cleaned it good so I could really see how bad it was.

It was real rough ... bad enough to bounce me around in the tractor, so I disked it one direction then the other direction and the last time at a slight angle with the drag behind the disc ... then I seeded it down with grass seed to get a cover crop ... its as smooth as can be now. When my new grass gets nice and tall I'll cut rake and bale it and then let the native grasses come on. If they don't I'll plant it to wheat this fall and reseed or sprigg it next spring.
    "Throwing a rock at every rabbit that jumps"

sales@caneyagequipment.com

Tractor
    Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.

Quote Originally Posted by LazySusanFarms View Post
    We recently purchased 80 acres. The land was rarely farmed in the last 20 years and is quite lumpy from various varmits burrowing and such. We also have quite a few deer tracks worn into the fields. We do have ariel photos back to the 50's which shows that the land was originally terraced. There are quite a few low spots in the terraces which could also be graded better.

We have a MF 1652 4WD. What attachments would be the best to use to land down the lumps and fill in the deer trails? We were thinking rollers. We do not want to disturb the entire 80 acres, just smooth it out a little bit.

Thanks
    Use a disc and drag combination. Rollers won't do the job you want.
    Here's what I use on my 6-acre hayfield - 6-1/2 wide offset disc with a tire drag pulled by a Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny, power steering).

Best Way to Level Farm Ground-offset-disc-drag-1-jpgBest Way to Level Farm Ground-offset-disc-drag-2-jpg

Get a 6-ft wide 3-pt disc so you can adjust the cutting depth as desired. Or get a wheel disc (aka transport disc) like this one I use. Bought it from my tractor dealer for $600.

Best Way to Level Farm Ground-wheel-disc-mod-1-1-a

Good luck.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

My mental image of successful pecan grove is usually associated with river bottom land. At least everyone I can think of in Oklahoma.

Have you had the soil tested for suitability?

Oh, I forgot. From first-hand experience, deer LOVE to eat the tender branches on seedlings.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    MF 1652 FEL

Thanks again for the replies.

The soil has been tested and should be fine for pecans.

Most pecan trees are found by rivers due to the need for water, not necessarily the soil type. Pecans, like most other nut trees, need a lot of water when filling the shell. When nut prices were lower, free water was a necessity. The pecan industry used to use flood irrigation primarily for water use. Conservation requires now that a better process be used for irrigation. We have drilled a well for most of our future water needs.

Tractor
    2009 Kubota RTV 900, 2009 Kubota B26 TLB & 2010 model LS P7010

Those "cedar" trees will take over vacant fields but like everyone has said, you cant level land without tilling it up first. The degree of tillage might vary and you could possibly use something like a field cultivator to just create some loose dirt and pull a spike tooth harrow behind it to break up the soil and redistribute it a bit. This is not going to fill in deep areas though as these would need complete tillage to turn under all the grass and then a land plane. This is not cheap as it takes many passes with a land plane to completley level and if it is terraced, then you would have to follow the terrace lines rather than cut across them. A good land plane will be 30-40feet long and require at least 80-100 HP tractor to pull it effectively so this is best left to experienced land levelers with laser controlled equipment if you want it perfect. Otherwise if you just want some spots worked, disc it up and pull a spiked harrow or even an old railroad track or maybe both of these behind it to fill in the low spots.
    2010 LS P-7010C 20F/20R gear tractor & FEL, 2009 Kubota B 26 TLB, RTV 900 Kubota,17 foot Lund boat with 70HP motor, 2012-20 ft 12k GVW trailer, 2011- 52" Craftsman ZTR mower, 2013 Ferris Zero Turn, 3 weed whackers, pressure washer, leaf blowers, 7 foot bush hog, 8 foot landscape rake , 8 foot 3 PH disc, 2 row cultivator, 350 amp Miller AC/DC welding machine and all the tools needed to keep them all repaired and running.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12