Disc or Till Pasture area?

/ Disc or Till Pasture area? #1  

lazyhorsefarm

Tractor
none
I just moved into a property with approx 2.5 acres that is grown over. I want to turn that into a pasture area but there are some ruts/holes, old grass, and I need to get the ground leveled. I haven't found anyone to disc the area, but have found someone who will come out and till with a tractor/tiller. Will that work or am I making a mistake by doing the wrong process?

/ Disc or Till Pasture area? #2  
I just moved into a property with approx 2.5 acres that is grown over. I want to turn that into a pasture area but there are some ruts/holes, old grass, and I need to get the ground leveled. I haven't found anyone to disc the area, but have found someone who will come out and till with a tractor/tiller. Will that work or am I making a mistake by doing the wrong process?

Grown over with what?
If you are going to use it for horse pasture you will get some ruts/hoof markings anyway. You don't want any holes, like ground hog holes they can step in while running but you can fill in small holes as they appear.
Unless you are not planning to use the pasture for a year or more, I wouldn't plow it or rotospade it up.
You can spot kill wild rose, thistle, and the like with a small sprayer and round-up.
If you mow what is there now, and keep it mowed, the weeds will die out and be replaced with grass over time. You might take some soil samples to find out what lime or fertilizer you can add to improve grass growth.
The main thing is to keep it mowed. Weeds love horse apples so mowing spreads the apples and discourages the weeds.