how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #1  

ncnurseryman

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere 970
I bought a 6 cubic foot wheelbarrow with wooden handles yesterday. Usually I use the ones with rubber handles. I noticed right off that the wooden ones are not as good since they become slippery when working. Anyone have any ideas on how to make them grip better?

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #2  
Wear good gloves. It makes handles less irritating and protects your hands from lots of bad stuff.

MoKelly

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #3  
I bought a 6 cubic foot wheelbarrow with wooden handles yesterday. Usually I use the ones with rubber handles. I noticed right off that the wooden ones are not as good since they become slippery when working. Anyone have any ideas on how to make them grip better?

Have you ever checkered a gunstock? Get a checkering tool and learn how. they are not terribly expensive for just the replacement heads, you might have to make your own handle/holder.. or how about rough sanding with with 40 grit sandpaper.. OR.. since I have some of this already, how about buying some of the pickup bed liner brush on or spray on materiel.. it is rough and if it wears off after a while, put some more on.. I can attest if you get it on your hands while it's wet it lasts on your skin a good long time. I put some on my L3400, and it still looked good when I traded after 18 months of stomping on it. Tractor supply has it in the spray can for a few bucks. our you can buy a quart for about 10

James K0UA

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #4  
Anything I have tried to apply to wooden handles either damaged too easily or hurt your hand after a while. If you have to use a wheel barrow get some good leather gloves.

Since getting the FEL the wheel barrow is a very last resort now!!!!

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #5  
If it doesn,t make it to big to wrap your hands around it, try some foam pipe insulation, about a 6-8 inch length. Tape it on or use some tie wraps tied wrapped or tied tightly on the ends only. If the pipe wrap is to small, leave the gap at the top.

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #6  
I'm sorry, my first thought was to buy a tractor.:laughing: How about the tape they sell for tennis racket handles.

MarkV

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #7  
I'm sorry, my first thought was to buy a tractor.:laughing: How about the tape they sell for tennis racket handles.

MarkV

Or skateboard tape... I havent had a wheelbarrow now for about 11 years.. and never used the one I had before that.. Tractor is the ultimate wheelbarrow. Unless you had to go thru a walk gate or something.

James K0UA

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #8  
I've honestly never heard the words wheelbarrow and comfortable used in the same sentence. :laughing:

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #9  
Bicycle handlebar tape. Lots of variety so you could pick one you like. :)

/ how can I make wooden wheelbarrow handles more comfortable #10  

Wrap someone else's hands around them.