powered reel mower

/ powered reel mower #1  

Bwgad96

Silver Member
Tractor
Wayy to many.
so the other day, my boss was telling me about a project his grandfather did. he said that he took a reel mower the one with all the spinning blades and put a 2.5 hp briggs and stratton on it. haha what do yall think? i wanna build one!!!

/ powered reel mower #2  
I don't know how old the grandfather is, but those used to be fairly common. If you look around you can probably still find some.

/ powered reel mower #3  
Yeah, they made those commercially for quite some time. I had one.. It was okay, but a normal mower just seemed easier to use and way easier to sharpen.

/ powered reel mower
seriosly? thats awesome!! i have an old scotts which is in beutifal condition but is just one you push.

/ powered reel mower #5  
Check around at some golf courses in your area. Many of them used to use them for greens maintenance.

/ powered reel mower
ok what companies made them?

/ powered reel mower #7  
I actually just bought a McLane power reel mower a couple of weeks ago. There are applications in which they are beneficial aside from cutting short.

While I live in the north I have a highly shaded lawn. The vacuum from a standard rotary mower destroys fine grass. My lawn is far too huge for pushing by hand. Additionally it works great on other southern grasses.

The varient which I bought is a 5.50 gross torque model (probably 4hp equiv), 7 blade reel. It just flies through thick grass with ease, the reel spinning at insane speed, but guess what no dust, exactly what I'm looking for as I want the fine grasses to establish.

I have two older power reel jobs, a Craftsman using a 4hp Tecumseh, it kind of rolls over the grass like a push varient discharging out the back. It currently doesn't run, is a pain to maintain and is nowhere near as smooth as the current sutff.

If you have some fine/short growing grass or perhaps zoiysha/bermuda, the results are amazing, I can make my back yard look super smooth.

They made them for a reason in the 60s and there are reasons they still exist today but, you're going to pay out the nose for a current one (I got mine on clearnance for 70% off and it was still $300), but there is a reason people use them.

They also chop grass at a different angle, smootly, good for mulch, less hamrful to the existing grass.