Tractor
    John Deere Gator, 1974 Gravely l8 FOR SALE, 2008 John deere 425 zero turn

Default powered reel mower

so the other day, my boss was telling me about a project his grandfather did. he said that he took a reel mower the one with all the spinning blades and put a 2.5 hp briggs and stratton on it. haha what do yall think? i wanna build one!!!

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH T1520

Default Re: powered reel mower

I don't know how old the grandfather is, but those used to be fairly common. If you look around you can probably still find some.

Tractor
    1981 Yanmar 336D

Yeah, they made those commercially for quite some time. I had one.. It was okay, but a normal mower just seemed easier to use and way easier to sharpen.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ― Aristotle

Yanmar 1981 YM336D

From this . . . . To this

Check out the full restoration project: Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3 . . . . Adding gauges? How-to

Tractor

seriosly? thats awesome!! i have an old scotts which is in beutifal condition but is just one you push.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    NH T1520

Check around at some golf courses in your area. Many of them used to use them for greens maintenance.

Tractor

ok what companies made them?

I actually just bought a McLane power reel mower a couple of weeks ago. There are applications in which they are beneficial aside from cutting short.

While I live in the north I have a highly shaded lawn. The vacuum from a standard rotary mower destroys fine grass. My lawn is far too huge for pushing by hand. Additionally it works great on other southern grasses.

The varient which I bought is a 5.50 gross torque model (probably 4hp equiv), 7 blade reel. It just flies through thick grass with ease, the reel spinning at insane speed, but guess what no dust, exactly what I'm looking for as I want the fine grasses to establish.

I have two older power reel jobs, a Craftsman using a 4hp Tecumseh, it kind of rolls over the grass like a push varient discharging out the back. It currently doesn't run, is a pain to maintain and is nowhere near as smooth as the current sutff.

If you have some fine/short growing grass or perhaps zoiysha/bermuda, the results are amazing, I can make my back yard look super smooth.

They made them for a reason in the 60s and there are reasons they still exist today but, you're going to pay out the nose for a current one (I got mine on clearnance for 70% off and it was still $300), but there is a reason people use them.

They also chop grass at a different angle, smootly, good for mulch, less hamrful to the existing grass.