The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn..........

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #21  
Bird,
You posted that you used 17.5 lbs of Tide but the link by Aczlan said to use 1tsp per gal of water then use an end of hose sprayer which would dilute it even more. Either you have a huge lawn or you are using a much stronger mix. How did you mix your solution? How did you apply it?

Norm

No mix, no solution. I used my little handheld whirlybird type fertilizer spreader just as I would for granular fertilizer. So I applied the dry powder, then watered it in. I've been asked about foam or suds, but the only place I noticed that was what I washed off the concrete driveway and sidewalk; not a problem.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #22  

Many years ago a neighbor told me he used to have friend who had the prettiest lawn in Dallas and the guy said he used no fertilizer except Tide laundry detergent (the powder form). And this year, another TBN member (jinman) said he uses it on his lawn to kill grubs.

I've intended to try it for a long and finally did this year. The yard probably looks better than it ever has. My only lawn problem is areas that get no sun.

Very interesting...You learn something new every day! :thumbsup:

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #23  
this year I've used no fertilizer, weed killer, or insecticide except for 17.5 pounds of Tide laundry detergent and the yard looks better than it ever has.:)

On top of adding phosphates to the grass/soil, this is a pretty effective insecticide! Something about the soap, when watered in, creates a film on the insects and they have a hard time dealing with it. What Bird is doing is especially effective on Mole Crickets!

You northern folks have probably never seen one, ugly little devils! But they will flat out devastate a Centipede or St Augustine yard... Put some Tide on the yard, just enough to where you can see the white against the green grass and then start the sprinkler. Stand by with your favorite squashing tool, because they'll come a runnin' to get away from the soap! :laughing:

They "sing" like other crickets do, but it's a different sound than your normal black crickets. You can certainly tell the difference if you have both in your yard. One or two Tide applications over a summer will keep 'em in check. :thumbsup:

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #24  
What Bird is doing is especially effective on Mole Crickets!

I looked at your link, and I don't think I've ever seen a Mole Cricket. The last few years, we've not had many crickets, but I can remember a time when the black crickets were so thick I couldn't walk down a sidewalk in downtown Dallas without stepping on them. The odd thing is that I've never heard of anyone using the black crickets for fish bait, but I used to buy the brown ones for bait at Toledo Bend Lake on the Texas/Louisiana border.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #25  
I looked at your link, and I don't think I've ever seen a Mole Cricket.

Bird, if you'd ever seen one in person, you'd remember! :) Kinda gruesome... Their front legs and head have adapted over the years as a "burrower" type of insect. In the FL panhandle, I've seen 'em eat up a 1/4 acre yard in a matter of 3 weeks or so. They tunnel and eat all the grass roots as they go, which naturally kills off the top growth. Grubs will eat the roots in a circular pattern, mole crickets make a "path" through the grass as they tunnel and eat, that's how you identify what's killing the yard. They'll do a number on your garden and flower beds too...

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #26  
No mix, no solution. I used my little handheld whirlybird type fertilizer spreader just as I would for granular fertilizer. So I applied the dry powder, then watered it in. I've been asked about foam or suds, but the only place I noticed that was what I washed off the concrete driveway and sidewalk; not a problem.

thanks Bird for your solution,Tide--dry on lawn.., Moles are tearing up my yard as we speak..i have a mole auto-spear and am using the mole peanuts in the borrows...??

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #27  
thanks Bird for your solution,Tide--dry on lawn.., Moles are tearing up my yard as we speak..i have a mole auto-spear and am using the mole peanuts in the borrows...??

I've got problems with the moles myself, and I've tried everything except the poison peanuts for a couple of years with no luck. I reset my spear type trap again this morning, but it's never gotten a mole yet.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #28  
I've got problems with the moles myself, and I've tried everything except the poison peanuts for a couple of years with no luck. I reset my spear type trap again this morning, but it's never gotten a mole yet.

Sadly, i have only gotten a couple of them myself..The spear has to be placed perfectly over the trail.sometimes i cannot get the feet into my hard ground....My best killer was my black cat, but he is gone now..The peanuts dissappear, maybe they are eaten???

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #29  
I've seen raccoons come and dig up the mole poison! Have no idea if it's harmful to them.

The only way I get rid of moles is to spot movement and dig them out or flush them out with the hose. I have a spike trap, but it's never worked despite being tripped many times.

I've only killed two moles when digging them out -- most of them (over 10 by now) survive and I relocate them to the forest about 5 miles away.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn..........
I have resurrected quite a few lawns in my time and they all become absolutely beautiful. And here is my secret recipe.

Thanks for the thorough response.

I found out my local Agway store does free soil analysis, I presume to sell fertilizers and such. I will likely start there. Fortunately, we have been getting alot of rain this year, and that seems to be helping my lawn quite a bit.

I'm also contemplating the laundry detergent trick...... this is the first I've ever heard of it.

I also have a question regarding lawn services. Around here you must be licensed by the state to apply commercial fertilizers. Is this because of the amount of fertilizers they purchase?? Or does this have to do with the quality (effectiveness) of the commercial fertilizers?