The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn..........

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #31  
Water... Seriously, keeping it watered is the single best thing to keep it green and lush.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #32  
When my job was to get rentals looking decent... the first step was to flood the area... in almost every case the water was off or hardly used.

Depending on what was there... I would also use a weed and feed product and a rake to break up crusty bare areas.

On of my friends has lived in her home for 70 years and has a beautiful yard she does all herself.

The only fertilizer she has ever used is aged steer manure...

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #33  
Ductape,

My wife has a landscape design biz and you can go to Lesco - JD Landscape and get an account setup to get the same fertilizer that the commercial guys do.

We also have account at Agway - this get us is 10% off stuff, and usually Agway has sales in the spring that are better than the discount. Its pretty much all the same material lesco or agway - just go with what you feel gives the best service.

Get the samples done but most of the time, its lime (a lot of it for NH) and then some 10-10-10 and composted material does a decent job.

I am thinking about "washing" a 80-150' area of lawn with a light dusting of tide to check it out.

Bird - roughly how many SF did 17Lbs of tide cover?

I dont want to be mowing and blowing soap bubbles!

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #34  
I am thinking about "washing" a 80-150' area of lawn with a light dusting of tide to check it out.

Bird - roughly how many SF did 17Lbs of tide cover?

I dont want to be mowing and blowing soap bubbles!

If the grass is dry when the Tide is applied, and then it's watered in, you won't see any sign of it when you mow. I'd say I covered roughly 6,800 sq. ft. with 17.5 pounds.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #35  
Bird,

Thats 100 lb to the acre, and the best price I can find is $36 per 16Lbs (dry tide 254 oz container) so that would equate to 6x$36 or $200 of Tide per acre - seems pricey vs fertilizer at least at first glance.

Carl

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #36  
Could be why tide is a very popular theft item around here... stores losses of tide are near the top for theft in the Bay Area per the newspaper.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #37  
Bird,

Thats 100 lb to the acre, and the best price I can find is $36 per 16Lbs (dry tide 254 oz container) so that would equate to 6x$36 or $200 of Tide per acre - seems pricey vs fertilizer at least at first glance.

Carl

Yep, I told my wife at the time that I had to try it because of what I've been told about it, but it's certainly not any cheaper than the other fertilizer I've used. I first bought a 14 pound box at Sam's Club which cost $27.04, including sales tax, ($24.98 plus tax) and when I ran out before finishing, I went to Walmart and bought the 3.5 pound box for $10, including sales tax ($9.24 plus tax). So it cost me $37.04. So we're pretty much in agreement on that point.:laughing:

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn..........
I would think there must be a cheaper brand of detergent to use.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #39  

I've certainly wondered about that. I looked over the packages of Tide to see if there was a list that would help me determine whether the chemical analysis is the same as some others, but I didn't find such.

/ The Secret To A Lush, Green Lawn.......... #40  

I've certainly wondered about that. I looked over the packages of Tide to see if there was a list that would help me determine whether the chemical analysis is the same as some others, but I didn't find such.

I also wondered about this...

Is there some "magic ingredient" in Tide vs others???