42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch?

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch?
Bird,
Sounds like you are pleased with that Toro. You get it from a big box store? People here on TBN sound very skeptical of discount store residential machines. Whatever I get is going to take a beating on the hard rough ground I have here.

Bird,
Sounds like you are pleased with that Toro. You get it from a big box store? People here on TBN sound very skeptical of discount store residential machines. Whatever I get is going to take a beating on the hard rough ground I have here.

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #13  
My 44" Craftsman ZTR with 20 h.p. Kohler came with a rear hitch/ball mount, I just screwed on on when I want to move the big trailers or pop it out and pull the cart, spreader, sprayer or whatever. I don't use it that way as much since I got my GT5000 tractor and Johnny Bucket.

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #14  
Hi Folio,

I have the Ferris with 25HP Kawasaki and tow a 10 CF lawn trailer loaded with wood over some rough ground and about a 200 yards from my woodpile up a small slope. No problems.

I also tow a Trac Vac Leaf vacuum 6HP B&S on the tounge weight about 75Lbs empty and when its full about 300 lbs but the tongue weight probably never is over 100 Lbs. I havent had any issues with stability or "tippyness" with the Ferris. It does weigh in at 1100 LBS and with me on it over 1300 Lbs.

When I spoke to Ferris about this they said the Trac Vac is more than the machine should be pulling due to the hydro motors on the axle so I added a cooler to the hydro line - now temps are 140* down from 180-190*.

You can see the hitch (got off ebay) on the bottom right rear in the pic. It has 1/4" plate and 4 bolts that attach to the back frame.

Anyway, you should be fine towing a small trailer with a ZTR.

Carl

Attachments

• Ferris cooler 5.JPG
    Ferris cooler 5.JPG
    907.7 KB · Views: 663
   / 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #15  
My 44" Craftsman ZTR with 20 h.p. Kohler came with a rear hitch/ball mount, I just screwed on on when I want to move the big trailers or pop it out and pull the cart, spreader, sprayer or whatever. I don't use it that way as much since I got my GT5000 tractor and Johnny Bucket.

If you look at the "Rear View" illustration, you can see the hitch.
P0803002-00008.png

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #16  
Bird,

Nope, my lawnmowers, string trimmer, etc. come from Lowery Motor Service which is about the closest dealer for Stihl, Toro, etc. and full service, including warranty, on several other brands. My own yard isn't very rough, but the neighbor's that I do is very rough. So far, so good, but of course my little Toro is only a little over a year old. I had one of Toro's top of the line walk behind mower for about 4 years and a slightly larger Toro ZTR for awhile before that. I only sold the other Toro ZTR because it was too wide to go through 3' gates. So yep, I've been happy with Toro and Stihl so far.

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #17  
I have been using a 50" Toro Timecutter for the last 4 years to cut about 3.5 acres of grass. Very nice machine with absolutely no problems at all.

thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. Very useful.

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #19  
I am in my second season of pulling a 66" Swisher tow behind with my Woods mower. So far no pump issues. I cannot see occasional trailer use being a pump issue. One of these days I need to get around to putting lug tires on to make it up the steeper slopes. That may stress the pumps more but o'well. Over, when towing something, plan ahead and don't get yourself in a bad situation. That same hill you may not be able to climb pulling the trailer might make your hair stand up going down with a trailer pushing you.

My front mount deck Woods has dual rear caster wheels mounted on a piece of tubing that is pinned in the middle so it flexes over rough terrain. There was a 1/4" thick steel angle with a hitch hole in it as part of that setup. Okay for a trailer tongue that uses a pin but not enough room for a ball hitch.

In order to use a ball, I added one of those adapters that look like a piece of flat stock bent into a "Z". There are a couple of holes and a ring to slip a chain over. After I paid around 32 for mine at well known farm supply I saw it at Wally World for about half.

Last edited:
Opted today for a JD Z425 (with mulch and hitch kits), based on deck strength, horsepower, transmission, and close-at-hand dealer support. It's a 48 inch cut where I wanted a 42, but with a few adjustments to flower bed borders, I can make it work. At 23 HP, should not be a problem pulling our little plastic dump cart with pin hitch where we want to go. Land is all flat, so there are so hillside slipping issues. Have a CUT for all other heavier work so it should be a nice addition to the stable. Thanks again to everyone for all your input.