42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch?

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #1  

Folio

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
Been drawing a blank shopping the Internet and this forum for a 42 inch ZTR that comes with a rear hitch (for small utility trailer) as standard or option. Anyone here know of one or have one? Make/model? If you have one, what do you like/not like? Thanks in advance for any help.

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #2  
Bad Boy Mowers offers rear hitches for their ZTRs here:2012 Options & Accessories | Bad Boy Mowers. (You will have to scroll down the page to find them.). I have an Outlaw (61") that has a receiver on the front, but it looks like they have only one 42" model (2012 MZ Series | Bad Boy Mowers) and it is not so equipped. I'm guessing that it would be fairly easy for someone with the necessary skills to fabricate a hitch for other ZTR brands.

BTW, I don't think I would want to put much tongue weight on the back of a small ZTR.

Steve

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch?
BTW, I don't think I would want to put much tongue weight on the back of a small ZTR.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Will check it out. Am looking to pull no more than 250 lbs which is the max capacity of the trailer. Think that will work? Your response much appreciated.

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #4  
I defer to the experts on this topic.

My uninformed opinion is that you should be OK provided you are operating on relatively flat ground. ZTRs have the reputation of slipping and sliding on slopes, especially on wet grass. An additional issue (speculative on my part) is whether towing would result in premature failure of the ZTR's hydraulic pumps.

I hope that someone with expertise will join the conversation.

Steve

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #5  
I have a Gravely 48 inch XP Z-Turn (23 HP engine) (my wifes mower) that came with a hitch as standard equipment. I have pulled a small trailer (4x6) full of wood. It worked but you can feel the engine working extra. I have relatively flat grounds. It is more suitable for pulling a small wagon than a trailer.

I also have a Bad Boy Outlaw 30 HP Zero turn that had a rear hitch installed when I bought the mower. This thing is a beast and pulls the trailer with no issues whatsoever.

All that said, the best and easiest way I have pulled a trailer around the property is with a utility ATV. I have a Suzuki Vinson (500) that can even pull my 5x8 trailer loaded (with stuff or even kids and a dog) with no issues. So, I don't use the Zero Turns much anymore for trailors.

Good luck.

MoKelly

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #6  
I only have the smallest Toro ZTR (SS3200) but the bagging kit included an engine guard with trailer hitch. Of course, the hole in the hitch was meant for lawn equipment with pins instead of a hitch ball, so the hole was a bit small. However, it didn't take me but a few minutes to ream that hole to take a 1 7/8" hitch ball since that's what my little trailer uses. So I pull the trailer with the mower on it behind my little Ranger pickup, and I can back that rig into the drive alongside the house, but it's even easier to just drive the truck on into the garage when I get home, back the mower off the trailer, then hook the trailer to the mower and take it around back to park it.:)

Attachments

• 2011 Toro ZTR 001.JPG
    2011 Toro ZTR 001.JPG
    382 KB · Views: 1,103
   / 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #7  
And this is my first time to include an attachment (photo) in a post with the new TBN "upgrade?". It's a lot more trouble than the old system, but I reckon it works. Anyway, I'll try another picture in which you can see the hitchball.

Attachments

• DSCN0421 (1426 x 1069).jpg
    DSCN0421 (1426 x 1069).jpg
    512.5 KB · Views: 1,581
   / 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch?
I should have said "garden cart" rather than "trailer." We use it to haul various materials around our property (flat, but very rough), pulled by a 24HP lawn tractor. Looking to replace the tractor with a zero turn. Figure it would be much better around all the trees and planting beds.

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #9  
Figure it would be much better around all the trees and planting beds.
I think you are figuring correctly. I cut my mowing time on 2.5 acres (+/-) at my farm from 3+ hours with a 42" RER to 1.5 hours with a 61" ZTR. Some of the best money I've ever spent.

Steve

/ 42" ZTR with utility trailer hitch? #10  
I'd be very much surprised if you had any problem pulling your cart with a ZTR. I just finished mowing today; did all of our yard and the next door neighbor's and with this little ZTR and taking my time, it takes 6/10th to 8/10th of an hour each time; in other words about 40 minutes plus or minus a little. And that's with just a 32" mower. I wanted the smallest I could get, because I wanted to be able to go through 3' gates in chain link fences.