New Lake

/ New Lake #1  

jewing3227

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035 HST
Hello everyone. First time to posting in this forumn. My wife and I recently purchased 8 acres with approx 1 acres lake on it. We figured it might be shallow so we had the levee busted and drained it and sure enough it was shallow. We just had it cleaned out and made a little bigger. My question to anyone out there who has had this done before and tried getting a good stand of grass to grow........what did you use and how did you go about it. I have had people tell me to do a rye/kentucky 31 mix. Someone also gbrought up "sheeps fescue". I will be waiting until we get some constant 60-75 degree days. Not so sure I will use straw if i end up going the rye way. I have heard some ideas and just wondering what some of yours might be.

My initial thought is to hit the edges with my gill and spread KY31 and go over it lightly and hope we don't get a gully washer.

By the way the banks are pretty steep (1:1 slope I believe) You almost can't make it up them! I get my slopes backwards i believe. Thanks everyone for any help

/ New Lake
LOL I mean I can pop some pictures but steep hills are steep hills. Didn't realize a person couldn't/wouldn't get some ideas thrown around without them either. Thanks though for some input!