Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5035 HST

Default New Lake

Hello everyone. First time to posting in this forumn. My wife and I recently purchased 8 acres with approx 1 acres lake on it. We figured it might be shallow so we had the levee busted and drained it and sure enough it was shallow. We just had it cleaned out and made a little bigger. My question to anyone out there who has had this done before and tried getting a good stand of grass to grow........what did you use and how did you go about it. I have had people tell me to do a rye/kentucky 31 mix. Someone also gbrought up "sheeps fescue". I will be waiting until we get some constant 60-75 degree days. Not so sure I will use straw if i end up going the rye way. I have heard some ideas and just wondering what some of yours might be.

My initial thought is to hit the edges with my gill and spread KY31 and go over it lightly and hope we don't get a gully washer.

By the way the banks are pretty steep (1:1 slope I believe) You almost can't make it up them! I get my slopes backwards i believe. Thanks everyone for any help

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX25

Default Re: New Lake

Welcome and PICTURES will get you WAY more replies than no pictures!
    Regards,

Artisan

Kubota 2012 BX25 (23H.P. / 17.7pto)
    14' Dump / Carson 12K Tow Trailer w/ movable Winch,
    Canopy, Tunes, Stabilizer Soft Pads, 10"-12"BH Buckets, FEL Grapple, Fasse Valved & Switched,
    Fire Extinguisher, ChainSaw Mount, Protective Surround / Enclosure in the works.

Stayin' Alive (This click could save a life...)

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 5035 HST

Default Re: New Lake

LOL I mean I can pop some pictures but steep hills are steep hills. Didn't realize a person couldn't/wouldn't get some ideas thrown around without them either. Thanks though for some input!