Leveling the lawn

/ Leveling the lawn #1  

poppey

Tractor
Kubota BX1860
Hi
I have 0.6 ac and about half of it is lawn. It is getting a bit bumpy and I would like to level it. I have JD LT180 lawn mover and just boutght a new Kubota BX 1680. I was supposed to use the BX 1680 mover but I found it a bit big so I have stored the mover deck away. But uses the loader on the BX all the time. Im planning to get more attachements like a snow blower (live in Norway) and chip cutter. I also have a K008 Kubota digger and the two Kubotas works well together when moving stones and soil.
Than to the lawn; I need to fill the dumps with a mixture of sand/soil and was wondering if any one has made or know of an attachment that will level out this sand/soil? The dumps are not very deep, 1-2 in. Plan to drop the soil around with the front loader and than a kind of scraper on the back that will level it out.

/ Leveling the lawn #2  
well - for a .6 of ac I'd would just fill the FEL bucket and drive around and fill in the holes with a shovel and rake. a good weekend of doing this will smooth it out.

/ Leveling the lawn
Thank you. I know that this is a way to do it and but I would like to use the tractor. My weekends are to short.

/ Leveling the lawn #4  
Chain harrow. I found one where I live, didn't know what it was, asked on TBN, and someone posted a great link showing it in action. I think it might be the answer you need. Good luck!

/ Leveling the lawn #5  
A roller in the spring after the frost has gone , when the ground is soft is the traditional way to level sod and turf.

i also need to roll my grassy spaces. The mower bumps and jumps as it moves along.

/ Leveling the lawn #6  
I agree with radioman and Susanjoyce, use your bucket to dribble out the dirt in the depressions then backdrag your loader bucket in float position with it almost flat. You can get most of it this way then run a chain harrow over the entire area to help smooth it out. Then rake what is left.

I use a small 48" landplane with my Deere garden tractor to do most of my smoothing. Does a good job so far (built it this past spring) and have used it to smooth several old lawn areas and nine complete new lawns.

Here's some pictures of my landplanes.

/ Leveling the lawn #7  
box blade, would be more ideal, for a 3pt hitch attachment. they are better at dragging the box blade on the ground and leveling things out. and if you need to tear up some high spots you may get better results with a box blade with rippers vs other attachments out there.

you can use you FEL. but it is a tad pain in the rump. to back drag with bucket and keep a even level doing. and would most likely result in garden rake and shovels to get things looking good.

folks have used chain link fences and dragged them behind there tractors as a finisher to help drag clumps out and smooth things out. chain link fence is kinda of a poor mans chain harrow. when chain harrow is flipped outside down so spikes are up in the air.

i have used a disc to drag out high spots into the ruts from running tractors through yard before.

===========
when ya filling in holes and ruts and like. keep in mind about "run off water" and in that do not create a larger mudd puddle either right near were ruts / holes are. or send water some place else to make a bigger mess.

/ Leveling the lawn #8  
box blade, would be more ideal, for a 3pt hitch attachment. they are better at dragging the box blade on the ground and leveling things out. and if you need to tear up some high spots you may get better results with a box blade with rippers vs other attachments out there.

you can use you FEL. but it is a tad pain in the rump. to back drag with bucket and keep a even level doing. and would most likely result in garden rake and shovels to get things looking good.

folks have used chain link fences and dragged them behind there tractors as a finisher to help drag clumps out and smooth things out. chain link fence is kinda of a poor mans chain harrow. when chain harrow is flipped outside down so spikes are up in the air.

i have used a disc to drag out high spots into the ruts from running tractors through yard before.

===========
when ya filling in holes and ruts and like. keep in mind about "run off water" and in that do not create a larger mudd puddle either right near were ruts / holes are. or send water some place else to make a bigger mess.

Boxblades are useful tools no doubt and I have two of them but for smoothing out for a lawn area the landlplane works better and is easy to use for a novice. A landplane with the blades set flush with the skids is perfect for this type of job. On a small job such as the OP's using the fel and rakes is very doable too. Sometimes you get your best results with a maual tool for touch up work a rake is hard to beat, I have lots of experience using them too.

Have to say once you have used landplanes and boxblades for awhile it is easy to determine which is the better choice for the particular job at hand. Curious if you have used landlplanes for any length of time?

/ Leveling the lawn #9  
Boxblades are useful tools no doubt and I have two of them but for smoothing out for a lawn area the landlplane works better and is easy to use for a novice. A landplane with the blades set flush with the skids is perfect for this type of job. On a small job such as the OP's using the fel and rakes is very doable too. Sometimes you get your best results with a maual tool for touch up work a rake is hard to beat, I have lots of experience using them too.

Have to say once you have used landplanes and boxblades for awhile it is easy to determine which is the better choice for the particular job at hand. Curious if you have used landlplanes for any length of time?

not enough it would seem.

/ Leveling the lawn
Hi

Thanks,
I have purchased a box blade and will try it on the lawn. I need it as well on some driveway.