How to cut a hollow tree?

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #1  

CobyRupert

Tractor
JD 5075E
My sister wants me to cut a ~50 maple, about 20" at the butt, it stands pretty straight, with a slight lean towards the way it needs to fall (next to her garage). Problem is: from about 4' to 10' above the ground the trunk is hollow on one side/middle. It "seems" like there is still core wood from about 4' and down. Is there a good pre-wedge cut way to find out?. Should I use a shallow face bore cut, just in case the bottom of the trunk is hollow too? Maybe wrap the trunk with a chain to prevent barberchairing?

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #2  
leave this one alone, hire a professional or push it over with a bulldozer.

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #3  
It will all depends on how much room for error you've got and how brave you are. With out pictures it's hard to say though.

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #5  
I'm with JHTF on this one as it is close to the garage and all. I once cut a tree that I didn't realise was hollow at the base. Not near any buildings thank god. The wedge cut seemed normal but almost as soon as I started on the back cut the tree popped and spun on what wood was left and dropped off the stump onto my saw trashing it and putting very close to a ninty degree angle in the bar. Then after the tree whumped closer to me then I like by about fifty feet a family of five raccoons that were living in the hollow tree came out kind of dazed except for momma who was all hissy and spoiling for a scrap. A very interesting and expensive day. Take care.

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #6  
This is about as bad at it gets because there is NO real control for you sawing skills.

Last time I was able to 'flick' after some sawing with the backhoe bucket but no buildings were in the path. It was the risk for making the cut not knowing what was going to happen or when. :(

Be careful. Some rope tackle would be nice to have like the professionals.

/ How to cut a hollow tree?
Yes, I'll use a rope or cable and apply some pull at the same time, as insurance that it falls where it needs to. Just worried that a cable will increase the chances of a barberchair in a hollow tree situation. Thus, it seems a bore cut might be appropriate? I did read somewhere that a 10" hollow pipe with 1' walls is as strong as a 8" solid pipe. Same with a tree, you don't lose that much strength just cause it's hollow? Just wondering if it will hinge differently or if there's other considerations?

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #8  
In steel hollow tubes are more rigid than solid steel. Gravity is going to be your enemy here and not the hollow tree.

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #9  
Having a pro do it will be cheaper than rebuilding the garage... Unless you can take it down from the top 4' at a time, I would let a pro do it.

Aaron Z

/ How to cut a hollow tree? #10  
Having a pro do it will be cheaper than rebuilding the garage... Unless you can take it down from the top 4' at a time, I would let a pro do it.

Aaron Z

I completely agree. The only difference I would have is to get a pro with insurance for this cut.

The hinge a hollow tree would have is vastly inferior to the hinge in a solid tree, and the wood probably has some very unusual grain near the hollow spot.