Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    new holland tn70

Default Re: Help me with weed control

Dennis what you might be doing is spraying to early. remember if it has not germanated yet don't mater what you spray with it won't kill it.that's the only thing i can think of that would cause 2-4d not to work.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    L3830 GST

Dennis, I live in Arab and spent 15+ years in the golf course maintenance industry so I'm familiar with the area. 2, 4-D will get your broadleaf and thats about it. The onion is probably wild garlic. Only difference is the stems are hollow, but it is a lot more common in our area. A 2, 4-D ester formulation will have some sucess on it and the henbit in your second pic. Also, will get the broadleaf. Not gonna touch the fescue in one of the pics though. You can spot spray it with roundup at label rate. If you want to broadcast roundup for a one spray solution, use about 2/3 label rate. It wont kill the bermuda. If it has any green down in the canopy, it may slow the spring green up but wont kill it. The garlic & henbit are the toughest. One spray wont kill all of it. It takes multiple apps in consecutive winters. A good spring pre emerge followed with a fall(early sept and again around thanksgiving) will do wonders for annual weeds. Unfortunately, the henbit, chickweed, and other broadleaf arethe only annual weeds in the pics. The others are perennials making them tougher. Need any more help, let me know ot pm me. Also, never go over label rate on ru. Its a waste of money, and actually less effective once you hit about 2x label rate and higher. By roundup, I'm meaning 41%+ glyphosate, not the wtered down stuff.
    Kubota L3830, 6' bush hog, 6' box, 6' disc

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    New Holland 1720

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoAU View Post
    Dennis, I live in Arab and spent 15+ years in the golf course maintenance industry so I'm familiar with the area. 2, 4-D will get your broadleaf and thats about it. The onion is probably wild garlic. Only difference is the stems are hollow, but it is a lot more common in our area. A 2, 4-D ester formulation will have some sucess on it and the henbit in your second pic. Also, will get the broadleaf. Not gonna touch the fescue in one of the pics though. You can spot spray it with roundup at label rate. If you want to broadcast roundup for a one spray solution, use about 2/3 label rate. It wont kill the bermuda. If it has any green down in the canopy, it may slow the spring green up but wont kill it. The garlic & henbit are the toughest. One spray wont kill all of it. It takes multiple apps in consecutive winters. A good spring pre emerge followed with a fall(early sept and again around thanksgiving) will do wonders for annual weeds. Unfortunately, the henbit, chickweed, and other broadleaf arethe only annual weeds in the pics. The others are perennials making them tougher. Need any more help, let me know ot pm me. Also, never go over label rate on ru. Its a waste of money, and actually less effective once you hit about 2x label rate and higher. By roundup, I'm meaning 41%+ glyphosate, not the wtered down stuff.
    100% correct on the mix rate...
    I use 40 oz per 16 gal fill up...
    That comes out to 2.5 oz. per gallon...
    I get excellent results with it...
    The 41% concentrate is the only way to go...

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Too bad we can't get MSMA anymore. It works on just about anything but bermuda seems like. But it takes 80 degree plus weather.

2-4-D I think works best in the heat too. You can use a wick type applicator for roundup if you want to get really selective.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Silver Member

Thanks Cosmo, the henbit is by far my worst weed problem due to it covering such a large area in several locations so I will concentrate my efforts on that weed. The broadleaf and wild onion for the most part is located in one area about 20 ft sq so I can killed off or removed it much easier.

I will admit that I have let this get away from me by not staying on top of it due to other prioritys but this is the year to start getting ahead of all that. I know this will take a 2-3 good years to fix and I also need to get smarter on perennials, annuals, ester formulation, Pre-emergent, post-emergent etc.

I will check the Bermuda canopy for any greening and if it is truly still dormant I will go the RU route based on your 2/3 label rate using 41%+ glyphosate and treat the heavy problem areas at the least.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    L3830 GST

Kyle, msma going away hurt, but some of it's replacements are pretty good. Drive is a great herbicide and the new liquid formulation(XL8R I think) works faster than the dry formulation. Celsius is also a good one. It is a sulfonyl-urea and some people consider them slow. Most of them actually kill the weed in 24-48 hrs but may take a week or so for the weeds to start browning out.

Tractor
    JD 4310,JD5420

Quote Originally Posted by CosmoAU View Post
    Kyle, msma going away hurt, but some of it's replacements are pretty good. Drive is a great herbicide and the new liquid formulation(XL8R I think) works faster than the dry formulation. Celsius is also a good one. It is a sulfonyl-urea and some people consider them slow. Most of them actually kill the weed in 24-48 hrs but may take a week or so for the weeds to start browning out.
    Thanks, have to look into those. They advertise something around here to kill nutsedge. It costs like $30 for a small bottle.

You might also look into a residual like Dupont Cimarron. A little goes a long way.
    there are 2 kinds of oats. Oats in front of a horse, and oats behind the horse.

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    L3830 GST

Most of the good stuff for sedges are sulfonyl-ureas or even newer chemistries. The key (with all chemicals used) is to rotate chemistries. Not just different products, but different active ingredients with different modes of action.

Add: I forgot to tell you drive's active is quinclorac. You can get a Speed Zone with quinclorac cant remember the name which is great. Speed zone is trimec (24, D, MCPP, and dicamba) that has carfentrazone added. This combined qith quinclorac gives a huge spectrum of weeds controlled.
    Last edited by CosmoAU; 02-07-2013 at 11:47 PM. Reason: forgot something

Silver Member

I did a soil test last year, below are the results (which I still need to do);

Recommendations for Bermuda Lawn:
    Ground Agricultural Limestone = 2.0 tons/acre
    Fertilizer N-P2O5 -K2O = 80-80-80 pounds/acre

I checked my soil temp and it's 49 degrees with no greening anywhere in the Burmuda, my only green ia lots of weeds.

I went to lowes today and had 2 choices for Roundup; Concentrate that was 18% Gyphosate and Super Concentrate that was 50.2% Gyphosate. The recommend mix rate for the 50.2% bottle is 2 1/2 oz per 1 gal water so that works out to 1.3 oz per 1 gal for the Cosmo cocktail.

I'm starting my attack on the yard starting tomorrow for good or bad, I'm going become Mr. Anal about my yard.

Tractor
    new holland tn70

Dennis i don't know if i would spray the whole yard, i had the bermuda in my lawn witch i wanted to get rid of and it was so bad i sprayed the entire lawn with round up. the bermuda never came back for several year's, i reseeded the lawn with ky bluegrass that was about 10 year's ago.i would just hate for you to kill your entire lawn trying to get rid of the trash in it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast