Help me with weed control

/ Help me with weed control #1  

DennisH

Silver Member
I'm declaring war on my yard this year and need some advice to get rid of weeds.

I have what I think is barnyardgrass, wild onion, wild violets, chickweed and broadleaf. This has taken over different section of my yard which is about 1 AC in size that I mow.

At this point I'm ready to try anything, I have a 40 Gal 3 PT sprayer, tow behind broadcast spreader and access to a 3 PT spreader so equipment is not a problem.

Any ideas? I have Burmuda grass and live in Huntsville AL.

Attachments

• Weed #5 (Small).JPG
    Weed #5 (Small).JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 171
  • Front Yard (Small).JPG
    Front Yard (Small).JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 165
  • Rear Yard (Small).JPG
    Rear Yard (Small).JPG
    74.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Weed #1 (Small).JPG
    Weed #1 (Small).JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 229
  • Weed #2 (Small).JPG
    Weed #2 (Small).JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Weed #3 (Small).JPG
    Weed #3 (Small).JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 171
  • Weed #4 (Small).JPG
    Weed #4 (Small).JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 150
   / Help me with weed control #2  
Dennis - I have all the same weeds you do and I have tried two different liquid weed killers with 2-4 D and it did nothing...I think it may take a granular weed killer..I have to try something different ...my Mrs. has told me to fix the weed problem...I will watch your thread and see if anyone has advice for us.

/ Help me with weed control #3  
Do you have a local extension agency or Ag Co op like Conserve FS or Cenex, etc. The yare usually good sources for IDing weeds and recommending the appropriate weed control. Other consideration is pets or children. Do they play in this area and how long should you keep them off after applying the chemicals.

I have had good luck using a product called "Speed Zone" but be prepared it is around $80 a gallon or more.

/ Help me with weed control
Well I do have pets and can keep them off the treated sections or do it in sections if need be. No children to worry about.

As for cost, at this point it doesn't matter but I don't want to (or think I need to) re-sod 1 AC.

Had one guy at work tell me that IF the Burmuda grass is dormant that I can use Roundup on the whole yard????????????????????????????? I DON'T WANT TO KILL THE GRASS, just the weeds.

Seems the wild violets drink 2 4 d like I drink my morning coffee.

/ Help me with weed control #5  
Dennis i don't understand unless your mixture is to week. i have some of the same weed's in you pic's and i use 2-4d on them in the spring and don't see them till late summer when it turn's dry and grass get's brown.my lawn is ky bluegrass and the bermuda is the hardest thing i ever tried to get rid of.

/ Help me with weed control #6  
I use a glyphosate herbicide on my weeds year round...
It kills what ever it touches...
Kills down to the root...
Usually takes a week to see the results with 100% kill at the end of two weeks...
Lasts for approximately 6 to 8 weeks as weed seeds re-germinate....
I usually spray 3 times a year and average around 100 gallons per year...
I get the generic Round Up at Tractor Supply when it is on sale...
Usually a 2.5 gallon jug that mixes 2.5 oz. to 3.5 oz. per gallon of water...
This is 41% glyphosate concentrate...
If you mix it 3.2 oz. per gallon that 2.5 gallon jug will make 100 gallons of weed killer...
Very economical @ $39.95 per jug...

/ Help me with weed control #7  
I use a glyphosate herbicide on my weeds year round...
It kills what ever it touches...
Kills down to the root...
Usually takes a week to see the results with 100% kill at the end of two weeks...
Lasts for approximately 6 to 8 weeks as weed seeds re-germinate....
I usually spray 3 times a year and average around 100 gallons per year...
I get the generic Round Up at Tractor Supply when it is on sale...
Usually a 2.5 gallon jug that mixes 2.5 oz. to 3.5 oz. per gallon of water...
This is 41% glyphosate concentrate...
If you mix it 3.2 oz. per gallon that 2.5 gallon jug will make 100 gallons of weed killer...
Very economical @ $39.95 per jug...
yeah that's what i sprayed my fence with last year killed everything

/ Help me with weed control #8  
2-4d works on weeds for me. I live 35 miles east of Atlanta. You got to spray the weeds with the correct mixture when the weeds are going to absorb the poison. Warm sunny days right now and it might work. I have sprayed Roundup on my lawn and it works, but the Bermuda that was sort of dormant was knocked back. My 50 gallon sprayer will let me do about 4 acres. For small stuff like my yard I just put on the rubber boots and spray with my backpack sprayer.

/ Help me with weed control
Thanks everyone, I'm going to put down some 2-4d since I still have some of that this weekend for starters and see how that works as we head into spring.

/ Help me with weed control #10  
Do a soil test and see how that turns out. Grass here will out grow most weeds if it has all the goodies it needs to grow well.