Wood chips for mulch? Colored?

/ Wood chips for mulch? Colored? #1  

nnu2013

Tractor
None yet
Hello,

I am currently doing some research for a university project where I have to create a sustainable business plan. The basic plan is to collect yard waste (branches, small trees, etc), grind it up, and then sell it as wood chips mulch for use in landscaping projects. Our location would be near Nampa, ID. Perhaps some of you on this form could help me out as I have a few questions to ask.

Would I be able to get suitable wood chips by grinding up yard waste that I collect?

Would there be other uses for wood chips besides mulch?

What size of wood chips are ideal for use as mulch in landscaping?

What would be the best method to screen and sort the wood chips after they are ground up?

Do you prefer wood chips that are dyed a certain color or no color?

How much do normal wood chips usually sell for?

Let me know what you guys think or if you have any questions for me! Thanks.

/ Wood chips for mulch? Colored? #2  
Dyed chips never stay dyed, they fade rapidly.
Today lumber mills all sell the bits and scraps for use in strand oriented particle board so volume sources of 'chippable' material (in volume) will be hard to get.
Yard waste in all probability will be too small to chip and better suited for composting.
Look into making pellets rather as this then becomes a popular fuel in many areas and a small set up can be had quite reasonably and be portable as well for 'on site operation'
Fact many larger mills now recoup everything for either particle board with balance going to heating pellets. No wastage!

Good luck.

/ Wood chips for mulch? Colored? #3  
:welcome: to TBN

/ Wood chips for mulch? Colored? #4  
Welcome to the forum.
You are asking some good questions , good luck with your project.

/ Wood chips for mulch? Colored?
Thanks for the input and and the welcome signs guys. There is a lot of information on these forums.