Help establishing a slope

/ Help establishing a slope #1  

TimberXX

Platinum Member
Tractor
BCS 770 Italian 2 Wheel Tractor, Grillo 107d, BCS 853, Deere x350, Deere x730
We have had a spot that has gotten no sunlight for years due to massive trees. We finally cut the trees down, but we cant seem to establish grass. The slope is 35 degrees or so, and every rain storm the seed is swept away. We tried straw to hold it all in place.

Any other suggestions?

/ Help establishing a slope #2  
I had to bury the grass seeds into the dirt using a rake. Some would stiil get washed away, but some would take and start to grow. I would then add more new seed, as the other grass would help hold the new seeds in place. You may want to get the soil tested, as the trees may have done a number on the soil. The bigger issue is how to mow it, once it starts to grow.

/ Help establishing a slope #4  
I, too, wouldn't want to mow a 35 degree slope. How about a low-maintenance ground cover?

Steve

/ Help establishing a slope #5  
I gave up on trying to mow my hill and I wound up replacing the grass with a bunch of junipers. The junipers filled in nicely over a couple of years and now there is no maintenance for the hill.

/ Help establishing a slope #6  
I have seeded a few of these over the years and the way that worked for me was to get a good seed bed started and to do it in August. I would first till the ground multiple times starting at the top and going downhill. Then I would spike harrow or something (cultimulcher) to get the "loft" out of the tilled ground. Then I would use a Brillion seeder with notched packer wheels and a quick germination seed such as perennial ryegrass awith maybe some tall turf fescue blended in. i would seed several different directions and at a heavy rate. Then, you pray it doesn't rain hard for a few weeks. If it does, and the area is small enough, I kept some straw bales on hand to either put down heavy prior to a big rain or just lay the whole bales as a barrier.

My guess is that most of your problem in failing to establish a seed bed is the ground is too hard to begin with and unable to accept even a small amount of rain. The softer seedbed means it will hold more water before it rains. I've done some sharp grades and some big areas and if properly prepped I figure it can handle maybe a few inches of rain as long as it doesn't happen too fast. If it does, just do over the spots that wash and eventually you win out.

Mowing is not that hard as long as you mow downhill.