Hydro Seeded And Still Not Growing Well

/ Hydro Seeded And Still Not Growing Well #1  

BobOB1775

Tractor
John Deere 165
Last year I had to re-plan my back yard which is about a half acre. I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a lot of tall fir trees and an occasional cedar near the edge of the planted area. In the past, I've had good luck with the grass, but after removing the old growth and adding 12 yards of lawn mix followed by hydro seeding, I'm getting very mixed results. I followed the contractor's instructions to the tee, and have fertilized as recommended. The lawn looks spotty and where it came in real nice, it is bare dirt and looks like nothing was ever seeded. We can't use many of the commercial fertilizers since we breed Shelties and don't want to add chemicals that can harm them. Any suggestions?

/ Hydro Seeded And Still Not Growing Well #2  
call the contractor they might have a warranty period

/ Hydro Seeded And Still Not Growing Well #3  
The only time I hydro seeded a yard (actually had a pro do it) was for a new house we moved into in July, 1977. It worked great initially (common Bermuda) but eventually had some problems with areas that got little or no sun. But where we currently live, I have some areas that get little or no sun and I cannot get grass to grow in those spots. So that was my first thought; that the trees make too much shade, but then I know nothing about lawns in your part of the country.:laughing:

/ Hydro Seeded And Still Not Growing Well #4  
Last year I had to re-plan my back yard which is about a half acre. I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a lot of tall fir trees and an occasional cedar near the edge of the planted area. In the past, I've had good luck with the grass, but after removing the old growth and adding 12 yards of lawn mix followed by hydro seeding, I'm getting very mixed results. I followed the contractor's instructions to the tee, and have fertilized as recommended. The lawn looks spotty and where it came in real nice, it is bare dirt and looks like nothing was ever seeded. We can't use many of the commercial fertilizers since we breed Shelties and don't want to add chemicals that can harm them. Any suggestions?

The specification on my campus when seeding grass is seed at prescribed rated, rake lightly, then hydro seed. This ensures the grass seed gets good ground contact. It is twice the amount of seed, but you already spent a lot of $$ on lawn mix, preparation, fertilization and watering.