Tractor
    John Deere 165

Default Hydro Seeded And Still Not Growing Well

Last year I had to re-plan my back yard which is about a half acre. I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a lot of tall fir trees and an occasional cedar near the edge of the planted area. In the past, I've had good luck with the grass, but after removing the old growth and adding 12 yards of lawn mix followed by hydro seeding, I'm getting very mixed results. I followed the contractor's instructions to the tee, and have fertilized as recommended. The lawn looks spotty and where it came in real nice, it is bare dirt and looks like nothing was ever seeded. We can't use many of the commercial fertilizers since we breed Shelties and don't want to add chemicals that can harm them. Any suggestions?

Tractor
    1988 John Deere 755

Default Re: Hydro Seeded And Still Not Growing Well

call the contractor they might have a warranty period
    1988 John Deere 755
    52 Loader
    JD 59 Front mount snowblower
    60" MMM
    MFWD
    48" JD Model 40 tiller

Craftsman YS4500
    22 Hp Briggs & Stratton

The only time I hydro seeded a yard (actually had a pro do it) was for a new house we moved into in July, 1977. It worked great initially (common Bermuda) but eventually had some problems with areas that got little or no sun. But where we currently live, I have some areas that get little or no sun and I cannot get grass to grow in those spots. So that was my first thought; that the trees make too much shade, but then I know nothing about lawns in your part of the country.
    Bird

Tractor
    Kubota BX 2360

Quote Originally Posted by BobOB1775 View Post
    Last year I had to re-plan my back yard which is about a half acre. I live in the Pacific Northwest and have a lot of tall fir trees and an occasional cedar near the edge of the planted area. In the past, I've had good luck with the grass, but after removing the old growth and adding 12 yards of lawn mix followed by hydro seeding, I'm getting very mixed results. I followed the contractor's instructions to the tee, and have fertilized as recommended. The lawn looks spotty and where it came in real nice, it is bare dirt and looks like nothing was ever seeded. We can't use many of the commercial fertilizers since we breed Shelties and don't want to add chemicals that can harm them. Any suggestions?
    The specification on my campus when seeding grass is seed at prescribed rated, rake lightly, then hydro seed. This ensures the grass seed gets good ground contact. It is twice the amount of seed, but you already spent a lot of $$ on lawn mix, preparation, fertilization and watering.