How to trim maples?

/ How to trim maples? #1  

NS Gearhead

Veteran Member
Tractor
Deere X350
I've got 18 maples lineing my driveway. They range from 6' tall to 8". Most of them are about 3-4 years old. My hope is to some day have them cover the driveway and make a nice "tunel" effect. What I noticed is that other mature maples on my property are tall and skinny. Got me wondering what's the difference between them and the classic maple that splits 4-5 ways at the 6' mark and makes a nice ball. Now, I grew up around christmas trees and my instinct is to keep cutting the lower branches as they get taller, and to choose the nicest top when it splits and cut the others.

I guess what I'm looking for is advice on how to trim them to get the desired shape. At some point do I trim the top to give a chance for the lower brances to catch up? Why don't the wild maples split into several tops?

Oh, most of them just look like twigs in the ground at them moment, so this may be pre-mature. LOL However, I think they've just been establishing roots and will really start to grow now. One grew 18" last year... until something ate most of it. : (

/ How to trim maples? #2  
Got a couple of maples on the edge of our driveway. They get full sun. They are approaching 30 ft. In height. The first. 20 feet is straight trunk as the branches were kept trimmed off right nex to the trunk. Couldn't reach any higher.

In the woods any tree that is in thicker growth has to reach up to get sunlight and protect its turf. That is why they will be tall with no lower branches.:)

I am not an < Arborist >

/ How to trim maples?
Ah, ok. That makes sence. When you see nice round maples they're usually in a field. Mine have a good 20' between them and the tree line, so they may be ok. I planted them 15 "steps" appart. Maybe too close, but too late now.

I'd still take any trimming advice anyone has. I'm not opposed to hireing an arborist once they're big enough... but want to make sure I'm not screwing them up now. LOL

/ How to trim maples? #4  
I always trim in Dec/Jan. I follow the "take off the lower branches" group. I do it mostly to not have to duck under them when mowing.

/ How to trim maples?
Oh yeah? I always thought that you wanted sap to seal the cut... but just because that's what we did with christmas trees.

/ How to trim maples? #6  
I always trim in Dec/Jan. I follow the "take off the lower branches" group. I do it mostly to not have to duck under them when mowing.

If these are sugar maples you tap for sap, you will mess up their internal pressure if trimmed in the winter. Best to trim in spring.