Hauling B&B trees ...

/ Hauling B&B trees ... #1  

JerryK

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra (2011)5035 HST TLB & (2016)2555 HST Cab & (2017)1526 HST(2018)Cub Cadet Pro Z 154L (1991) Caterpillar E70B
Howdy, I just ordered six 5-6' Concolor Fir trees w/B&B 28" balls. I was wondering if anyone here has transported something like this. I have a 16' trailer w/16" sides, and the trip is about 80 miles. I was thinking either build a tempory plywood structure [only 4' high which means the tops would be sticking up in the wind] towards the front of the trailer and then stand/secure them upright. But I would like to lay them somewhat down flat and cover with a tarp. Just like to make it a nice slow trip without any tree damage. Any ideas [ or wisecracks ] would be greatly appreciated... :)

/ Hauling B&B trees ... #2  
Have always just loaded everything onto the trailer and laid it down with straps here and there to secure. Never had damage either from transport.

/ Hauling B&B trees ... #3  
I have always laid trees and shrubs down and covered with a tarp....You would be amazed at the damage that will be done to your trees if you let them stand up...the wind will not only tear them apart but it will dry them completely out in an 80 mile trip....Your trees will not make it standing up.:2cents:

/ Hauling B&B trees ... #4  
I have never had an issue with a B&B tree laid on it's side for transport. The balls are contained in a heavy wire mesh in addition to the burlap. This has always kept the ball well contained in my experience, and it does not hurt the balls to lay the trees down on their sides for the ride.

Whenever I've purchased trees, they have always wrapped them in plastic to protect them from the wind whipping the heck out of them during the drive. If they don't do that I would tarp them or something, like you are planning.

/ Hauling B&B trees ... #5  
Ooops, just realized this thread is a few weeks old. You probably have them home and in the ground by now...:eek:

/ Hauling B&B trees ...
Nope, going to fetch them next week. [ Dutchman Tree Farms east of Manton, Michigan ] They dug them and had to harden off the root balls... basically letting the little fiberous roots grow within the ball as the tree trys to replace the lost big roots. I am going to lay them down and prop up the little end of the ball with bags of mulch.. with the top laying down on the bed. Then tarp good. Going to bring them home and wet them down good, and stick them in the back of my barn. Plant them all the next day. The holes are dug, got lots of hose to water them, lot's of mulch, etc. The fun part was finding all the big rocks and roots where I dug the holes by hand.... [ good workout for an old retired guy.. only used the hoe to take one big rock out ] :) Thanks.... !!!!!!!

/ Hauling B&B trees ...
Picked the Concolor Firs up Friday. Set them next to the pole barn and watered them. Planted three Saturday and the last three today. Still have to do some final dirt work and mulch them. Anywhilst, got my Spring project done. Sure is nice having a tractor with forks.... :)

/ Hauling B&B trees ... #8  
Looks like you did a really nice job. :thumbsup:

Can you imagine trying to do all that without your tractor? Ugh!