Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #1  

JOE G

Gold Member
Tractor
Husqvarna / John Deere
Hi, on one of my tree lines I have a ant colony, in a couple different spots, I would like to get rid of them so i can get the grass to grow back in that area. Any tips?The are Black ants.

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #2  
This is a year for Ant hills

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #3  
Boiling water seems to slow them down significantly and doesn't leave any lasting bad side effects other than some brown grass.

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #4  
easy - go to wal mart and pick up a box of 20 mule team in laundry dept (also known as borax) for 3-4 bucks. Your wife might have a box in your laundry supplies - check there first lol. sprinkle on ant hill and around it. walk away. Its safe, non toxic and cheaper then the darn chemicals.

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #5  
I use ant bait (not poison), get it at Lowe's or Le Depot. Ants take it into the colony, feed it to the queen, all die.

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #7  
I use talstar it comes as a granular or biffin it its a liquid.

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #8  
Find a product with Spinosad as its active ingredient. Green Light makes one RTU, in hose end sprayer. It is also available as a concentrate to use in your own hose end sprayer. It is organic. It helps drive the stinkers away, even the nasty imported fire ants.

/ Getting rid of Ants in the lawn, Need help #10  
When I moved into my house here in FL last November, the yard was overrun with like 4 different kinds of ants... Fire ants, red/black ants, and two smaller kinds of "generic" ants. I played around with different stuff from big box stores and nothing really lasted. So, I went to a local DIY pest-control store that sells professional grade stuff. They gave me stuff called Wisdom TC Flowable and told me to mix 5 ounces with water in a 20-gallon hose-end sprayer. I wet down my entire yard with the stuff and it wiped them all out. It's been a few months, still don't see any new ant mounds or any other activity.