Want a zero turn mower, but what to get?

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #31  
Toro zero turn commercial ,... ferris,... dixie chopper...:thumbsup:

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #32  
Do you have a lot to mow around ?
A 7' rear finish mower on your Mahindra may be something to consider.

One thing to consider with a wide RFM is how even the ground is. A wide RFM (and I had a 7' RFM (BEFCO)) will span dips and scalp raised ares...more so then a narrower RFM. Also, wide RFMs are harder to store.
I sold the 7' RFM for both reasons I listed above...I have a 72" RFM now, but I'm considering a zero turn mower. Although a tractor is more versatile, when it comes to mowing, a ZTR is considerably quicker...

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #33  
I recently moved up from a CC RZT 50 to Husky MZ 6128, both with B & S Power. The big thing I noticed and what disappoints me as expected is the trend away from articulating front axles that has crept into all lines of Zero-turns. I guess it's to keep prices down and bling-factor up with other features, but since my 2 ac lawn isn't parking lot flat the rigid frame is a PITA & I'm ready to shop again with <10 hrs on the new machine.

Nothing like having one wheel up in the air and it being the one needed to maneuver out of a tight spot. I'm mowing <6 of 2k+ ft of shoreline and that's next to the boats. I can roll down & crop that one deck-width but it's the wrong wheel that can grab to get me back up & the 14' Sylvan I row is getting hammered in its berth every time I mow. :mad: There are half a dozen or more barely canted places where I get a bare patch when a spinning tire gets its grip again.

Other than that, the Husky is a heckuva machine for what I paid (<$5k OTD). ZT 3100 transaxles w/filters & reservoirs, 61" fabbed deck, easy service access everywhere, damped control sticks ('gas rods' can be easily detached, but controls don't seem to self center either way), 5 gal tank, etc, etc. IMO only the price seems 'residential' about it. Man what a beast for the bucks, but I've dropped tire pressure from 15 to 12 PSI & will go to 10 or less hoping to give my back a break. Can't mow cleanly at anywhere near its top ('traveling') speed but it's still a rough ride. With no L5 disc & I can't lean on the backrest at all when mowing.

Guess I could have taken my own advice & given Country Clipper a better look, but I feared a hefty price point for models with the pivoting front axle. Will report if I like what I see, & the Husky could go cheap for its hours if I jump ship again. btw: IMO a tractor that mows lawns delicately won't necessarily farm well any more than a ZTR would disc, till, or handle a FEL or backhoe with aplomb. Two half-azzes won't make a whole in my book. :D tog

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #34  
I'll second the diesel Grasshopper. I would purchase a used one in the OP's price range. I actually am using an old Woods 6215 which is a repainted Grasshopper. Only cost me $2k with less than 2000 hrs on it this spring. Way faster than my finish mower. The front deck is awesome for trimming, especially under pines and spruces. I've also used a friends Kubota mid-mount with a diesel and it's a very nice machine. He picked it up used for less than OP's price range. Others I've operated and liked: Ferris, Exmark, Walker, Toro Zmaster, and Dixie Chopper.