Want a zero turn mower, but what to get?

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #1  

Ram4x4

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5035HST
Starting to research zero turn mowers, but holy cow, there's so many out there I don't know where to begin!

I'm familiar with all the major brands (Hustler, Ex-mark, Badboy, Scag, Ferris, etc), but there seems to be a lot of variances out there.

I've read a lot on all the "features" each offers, but frankly, some of it I wouldn't know what is better and what isn't.

Kinda hoping some zero turn owners can help me out.

I'm not sure exactly the acreage I mow around my place, but to give you an idea...I currently have an older Craftsman 18HP 42" cut rider and if I go to it, with minimal breaks it takes me about 6 to 6.5 hours to mow everything I need to mow. Needless to say, it's a full day and I'm pretty beat when done, especially when it is sunny (I get a nice tan though!). During this time of year I am pretty much stuck mowing every weekend and if I miss a weekend it turns into a two day affair because the grass is too thick (can't cut full width and it is much slower going).

The yard is fairly rough too. Some areas bounce me around pretty good, so have to go slow.

I know one thing for sure, I'm not looking to spend $12,000 for one of the super upper end machines, I can't afford that. I'd like to stay $8,000 or less (actually, preferably even less than that, but after looking around I've at least figured out I'm not going to get enough machine for too much less).
I'd prefer a new machine vs used.

With all that said, any particular recommendations? Kinda hoping there are some with some sort of suspension in that price range, but so many models out there. I'd like at least a 61" cutting deck, maybe even a 72" if they offer something like that in that price range.

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #2  
Do you have a lot to mow around ?
A 7' rear finish mower on your Mahindra may be something to consider.

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #3  
You will probably get lots of different opinions but here is mine. Look around your area and see what dealers are close and what brands they offer. Any of the brands that you mentioned will give you good service as well as a few other major brands. The question is that if you have a problem, how good of support will you get from the dealer. Talk to some folks around your area that have ZT mowers and find out their dealer experience. I highly recommend a suspension seat or some type of suspension....Good luck

Last edited:
   / Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #4  
We love our John Deere 997. All of them reduce mowing time considerably and they are fun to operate.

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #5  
Ram - I don't know if this is just a local offer in our market area but today I just saw a 54 inch zero turn Craftsman mower advertised by Sears here for $2600.00 with a 2 yr. on site warranty...you might want to check locally if you think you'd be interested.

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #6  
Just my experience-I have been mowing 9 acres (5 of them quite rough) a week for the last 5 years with a Toro Z-master, 52" deck with a 23 hp Kawasaki motor. The mowing is at three different properties, and I can do it in around 5.5 hours total time. I mention this becasue I spent $7300 5 years ago for this machine-the price range you are looking to be in.

My recommendation is to look for a good local dealer that handles any of the major brands. I would not be afraid to get a 48-54" deck to keep the unit in your price range-the Z will mow so much faster than what you are using now you will be impressed! If it helps keep things in your price range, sacrifice the deck width and stick with a quality unit.

Will

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get?
My Mahindra dealer carries Country Clipper ZT mowers. Never heard of them. They look good and the deck stands up for easy cleaning. I guess I could check them out.

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #8  
A friend has been mowing with a 60" Country Clipper since Kohler 25hp came into the size range, must be 12 yrs+. (4+ ac to mow) The tilt-deck feature is every bit as handy as it sounds. Disconnect 2 quick-links from the rear of the lift mechanism, lift up by the front axle to tilt out, and grab a stool to work from. (Takes a wee bit of muscle to lift, but ZTs are light in the front if you can pry folks out of the seat. ;) Nudge forward from the back when done cleaning/sharpening/greasing and after it plops down just re-connect the quick links. 'Bill' has the joystick steering option (too bad he's a lefty). At the time the price was less than Toro or Ex-mark 60"s, quality every bit as good as either (and those were 22hp.) Too bad the dealer network is so sparse. :(

Hustler seems to be a good brand for ruggedness & value. Wasn't it also given high marks in that compendium of dealer/service satisfaction surveys? Like the man says, look for nearby service/support and local reputation. My Cub Cadet RZT 50 is ok with barely 2 ac to mow but sets the bar for homeowner chintz compared to the truly better stuff. btw: I just had the 'cones' replaced (friction material like brake lining) on a 16+yr old Dixon 4421 with their mechanical drive and it runs like new again. Could have looked at their serious stuff while I was in the shop, but didn't. However good they might be they're another with precious few dealers. Hustler might be my pick if I ever wear out the CC. (9 yrs & going..)

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #9  
Get you a bad boy. I have a 26 hp Kawasaki that is liquid cooled. 60 inch deck. Think price was around 8500. Find a dealer that will trade you for your mower or mowers and make a deal. It will mow pretty tall and thick grass at a reasonable pace. I traded in two older John deere mowers for mine for a fair price and went from about 5 hours of mowing to about 2-2.5 hrs. Pretty sure the decks are 1/4" steel with a extra 1/4" around the bottom edge, so 1/2" thick. sounds more like a little brush hog when you hit sticks or rocks. Good mowers and easy to service. Check em out. Just my 2 cents.

/ Want a zero turn mower, but what to get? #10  
Gravely is another to consider. Great mowers from what I hear. Ariens actually owns Gravley and from what I've read the mowers are almost identical so they may be worth considering as well.