1 year old seedlings and round up

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up
ok ill post pictures tonight of my types of spray patterns my sprayer came with. I hope all goes well to its been warm and sunny since i sprayed on sunday i might see some damage when i get home today. I am not sure the type of round up it is all i know is that its called VANTAGE PLUS MAX a form of Round up from what i have been told.

the species are hybrid poplar and white spruce.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #12  
The other day my brother ask what I used to kill some bushes and I total him the Roundup chemical. He was shocked but when young I have good look with many kinds but not all.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #13  
You don't need to saturate the weeds. If you mix your roundup right it will kill the weeds just fine
by just spraying them. The problems is your not mixing your roundup right. In a 2 gal sprayer I use
6oz of roundup, a couple drops of dish soap and fill with water. The dish soap helps hold the spray on
the leafs longer letting it soak into the plant. I usually only spray twice a year using this method.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #14  
Here's my setup and it works great. I used to use a Solo 3 gallon sprayer but it got too heavy to lug around so I picked up a "Roundup" garden type sprayer at a yard sale and switched the tips today. Works fine.

Here's the old Solo sprayer (that I really liked) and new garden type sprayer.
010.JPG

009.JPG

Here's the tip setup I switched to. I took off the old "soaker" type nozzle and switched to a fine spray nozzle. I think it's a #8002 or 8003. Also, I added a screen with a built in check valve to prevent (mostly) drips. Also needed an adapter for the screen to fit into. You need a screen with Roundup and a fine spray tip because Roundup forms a scum. Here are those parts.

008.JPG

Here's the grass I spray around trees. You don't have to soak the weed or grass, I just try to get some on a part of it and if I hit the tree it's only a glancing blow that isn't a direct soaking spray of the tree. I have sprayed hundreds of seedlings this way, never a problem and never killed one. Here are some samples I sprayed tonight.

011.JPG012.JPG

The following weed/grass is big and stuck under the tree so I just hit an exposed portion of it and only a little on the tree. You don't need to soak the weed/grass but just hit a part of it. The weed/grass will die. Here's that pic

014.JPG

Now...relax and take a deep breath because I also spray fruit tree and ornamental tree "suckers" that grow off the base or even the trunk. Everyone cringes but I have killed this growth for 20 or so years and zero problems. The suckers die and that's the way it is. I sprayed these toninght.

006.JPG

015.JPG

The mix I use is 2 to 2 1/2 ounces of generic Roundup concentrate per gallon of water and I add a little dishwashing detergent to break the surface tension and help the spray stick. It really helps the kill quality. Again and with importance, you do not need to soak the weed/grass. Just a touch will kill what you want. If not, go back in a couple weeks and get what you missed. This has worked for me for years. Happy spraying and wear rubber gloves and glasses.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up
thanks sixdogs, ive been so busy doing some landscaping i havent had a chance to take a look at the sprayer but so far it looks like the seedlings are doing ok.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #16  
the species are hybrid poplar

With any luck, you killed them. If you didn't, in 10 years you will be wishing you had...

We planted some 10-12 years ago, and they have sent runners out throughout my yard, roots 20' from the tree are above ground level, and they are just a general PITA!

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #17  
With any luck, you killed them. If you didn't, in 10 years you will be wishing you had...

We planted some 10-12 years ago, and they have sent runners out throughout my yard, roots 20' from the tree are above ground level, and they are just a general PITA!

Here's how you kill them. It's a piece of cake.

Cut the tree down and them IMMEDIATELY paint the stump with concentrate roundup or generic and your problems are solved. It's dead as a doornail and they don't come back. Now, I paint the stump a couple more times within the first 15 minutes just for chuckles but I don't think I need to. One has never grown back.

Now, I don't have any runners but if I did I would keep mowing or wipe them with a sponge dipped in concentrate or maybe 50-50 with water. Obviously wear rubber gloves and goggles or forget about it.

Last edited:
   / 1 year old seedlings and round up #18  
Here's how you kill them. It's a piece of cake.

Cut the tree down and them IMMEDIATELY paint the stump with concentrate roundup or generic and your problems are solved. It's dead as a doornail and they don't come back. Now, I paint the sump a couple more times within the first 15 minutes just for chuckles but I don't think I need to. One has never grown back.

Now, I don't have any runners but if I did I would keep mowing or wipe them with a sponge dipped in concentrate or maybe 50-50 with water. Obviously wear rubber gloves and goggles or forget about it.

Thanks for the info! If we don't sell our house next year (we are planning to build on our newly purchased land), then I will definitely be doing this. Where they are, they block sun and wind to the house on the West side, so they are nice until you have to take care of the yard next to them.