1 year old seedlings and round up

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #1  

v8only

Silver Member
Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
So today i started to get ansy and did some round up around one year old seedlings. I used a piece of cardboard to protect the tree but I noticed that once the cardboard would get saturated it would "wet" the tree. I cleaned off the tree with my hand thinking that it should be okay as I did not saturate the complete tree on any greenery it was more the young bark and maybe a few needles of spruce trees.

What do you think? will they be okay.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #2  
They will die or be severly stunted!---I lost some year old nut trees from too close of a spray job! thanks; sonny580

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up
bah that sucks. I did contact my supplier and they did say as long as the tree did not get full coverage/spray it should be ok as it did not wet the complete tree it just maybe wet half of a leaf or a small part of the trunk.

I guess i will find out in a few weeks.

wish me luck.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #4  
What percentage mixture did you use? At the lower levels 1% and 2% there is a chance the damage will be survivable on woody stem plants. I've accidentally sprayed a couple of the wife's flowers and have had good luck washing the glyphosate off with the garden hose.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #5  
I spray Roundup all the time around my 550 trees---all planted from seedlings--and I can't recall a problem. All have prospered and are now up to 12 years old.
Just don't spray the tree directly, be careful of new growth, use the right tip and don't mix it too strong. I use up to 2 ounces of generic concentrate per gallon of water and might have started with one ounce. I don't spray the tree on purpose and I use a handheld sprayer with an actual boom sprayer tip. I think it's a number 8002 or 8003 and just a little spray comes out.

If you are using a handheld sprayer with one of those soaker tips, get rid of it. You waste product, drip everywhere and that's how you can get in trouble with Roundup and trees. I also have a check strainer on mine off a boom sprayer so it doesn't drip on my grass. Well, not much.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up
good call on the tip i will change it out for a smaller spray. My mixture is 8 ounces for 4 gallons of water. I definatly didnt spray the trees on purpose like i said i used cardboard to protect the tree. the problem i was noticing is that once the cardboard got saturated the cardboard would wick onto the tree bark where then i would rub dry the round up with my hand hoping it would be okay. A few times as well there would be a 12" tall weed around my 8" tree so i would saturate just the weed however once i removed the cardboard the soaked weed would touch the tree.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #7  
You don't need to saturate the weed...a little bit of fine spray or a single drop will do the job. Get over this "saturate" stuff--it's not needed. Then, throw the cardboard away and do the tip thing. You don't need the hose nozzle.

Oh, you may need an adapter to fit the fine nozzle to your sprayer. If you do, post it and I'll walk you through it. And, we can talk about putting a no-drip screen in to solve the annoying drip issue.

Four gallons will cover a lot of weeds and grass.
good call on the tip i will change it out for a smaller spray. My mixture is 8 ounces for 4 gallons of water. I definatly didnt spray the trees on purpose like i said i used cardboard to protect the tree. the problem i was noticing is that once the cardboard got saturated the cardboard would wick onto the tree bark where then i would rub dry the round up with my hand hoping it would be okay. A few times as well there would be a 12" tall weed around my 8" tree so i would saturate just the weed however once i removed the cardboard the soaked weed would touch the tree.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #8  
Only thing I use Roundup on is Poison Ivy.

I hate that stuff.

/ 1 year old seedlings and round up #9  
Your mix rate is either right in the middle between easy to kill weeds and harder to kill woody stem plants with Roundup Super Concentrate purple cap (50% glyphosate = 1.5 to 2.5 oz) or way weak with Roundup Concentrate red cap (18% glyphosate and .73% diquat).

The red cap Roundup Concentrate burns down stuff the quickest. You might already see damage by now. The purple cap Roundup Super Concentrate takes 3 or 4 days before weeds begin to die. Cloudy and overcast will slow the burn down rate.

I wish you good luck and hope you have avoided the disaster.