spruce tree advice

/ spruce tree advice #1  

v8only

Silver Member
Tractor
1988 John Deere 755
So as some of you may have figured out i am doing alot of landscaping. I have planted over 600 seedling and 100 3 foot tall spruce trees all from the ditch as they are free in my area.

Last fall they were doing all so well then dead Canadian winter hit and turned them all brown. Its now end of the June and I have lost 60 spruce and some of the spruce are half brown with no needle branches and half green.

So will the half brown no needle branch half green trees ever fill out again or should i go and get more trees? and am i to late in the summer to grab more spruce trees?

Any recommendations you might have on keeping them alive longer and grow great?

thanks.

/ spruce tree advice #2  
Hi
Spruce trees do better if you either plant them in an area where they are already growing or move some soil with them as I have heard that they need the "proper" soil bacteria to help them survive.

quote taken from Inoculation of Tree Roots with Plant Growth Promoting Soil Bacteria: An Emerging Technology for Reforestation "Recent results with various tree species, however, indicate that seedling performance can be significantly enhanced through bacterial inoculation of root systems: pine and spruce biomass increased 32%-49% 1 yr after inoculation and outplanting at a reforestation site. In addition, infection by desired species of ectomycorrhizal fungi can also be enhanced by inoculation with certain strains of root colonizing bacteria."

I move lots of spruce around, either in the spring or fall. Avoid the summer as it is too dry. Haven't had any significant losses, but I do move a bunch of soil with every tree//I generally move 5' trees using the FEL to scoop them up with surrounding soil (use a shovel to dig a slit trench in front of the tree then use FEL). I also add bone meal to the hole & mulch to conserve moisture.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
   / spruce tree advice
where can i get this beneficial bacteria?

Also anyone know if the bare branches on the still growing spruce will fill out? or are those branches dead?

/ spruce tree advice #4  
I'm no expert, but I have had some similar experience with Norway & Blue spruce trees. A good indication is if you can bend the ends of the branches without them snapping, or if you scrape away the outer bark at the ends with your fingernail & it is not totally dry & brittle. Add some fertilizer & keep them watered.
Also the first couple of winters, I sprayed the side of the trees with the wind exposure with a product called Vapor Guard.

/ spruce tree advice #5  
where can i get this beneficial bacteria?

Any area where the same type of tree is thriving. Simply take some soil from under the drip line & add it to the hole you're making for the new trees. May not be the perfect strain, but it will already be adapted to your local soil and weather conditions.