Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2360 & L4240 HSTC

Default Rope for pulling trees over

I have a few trees that I want to take down. They need a little help to fall in the right direction. What kind of rope would be good to use to pull them in the right direction while they are being cut?

Tractor
    Many

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    I have a few trees that I want to take down. They need a little help to fall in the right direction. What kind of rope would be good to use to pull them in the right direction while they are being cut?
    A very long one.

I use tow straps and chains for this type of thing.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

Default Re: Rope for pulling trees over

If you are wanting some good rope you might want to look at this. Stronger than steel, wears better than steel, and has less stretch than steel. It isn't cheap but I have been using it for several years now. It's going to last many years.

AmsteelBlue.com - Best price on genuine Amsteel
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Tractor
    Kubota BX-25D, JD circa 1990 Lawn Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by 94BULLITT View Post
    You can get by with rope on small trees but I find the stretch is too much for my liking on anything with significant diameter (weight). I like to use cable and/or chain and a 'come along' to put some tension in the direction I need it. How are you planning to drop the trees? How big are they? What kind? Around here they are mostly evergreens and grow pretty straight. The maples are the scary ones as they grow in clumps, lean, and hang up in each other. They can also kick back sometimes.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by whistlepig View Post
    If you are wanting some good rope you might want to look at this. Stronger than steel, wears better than steel, and has less stretch than steel. It isn't cheap but I have been using it for several years now. It's going to last many years.

Hmmm... yes expensive, but looks very interesting! Thanks for sharing. The material is UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene). This plastic is very tough and strong and used by the Navy for well decks and ballistic armor to name a few applications. I might have to invest in some of this rope. But it is not cheap! What also is exciting is the light weight aspect. No more having to lug heavy chains and trying to throw them around things.

Tractor
    Kubota B7800 with FEL

I use the winch on my ATV to raise and lower a snow blade. The original steel aircraft cable that came with my Warn winch self destructed in the spool. It frayed and broke after one year of use. I replaced it with Amsteel Blue winch rope. I have been using this Amsteel Blue for 6 years in my winch now with no noticeable signs of wear. Not so expensive now compared to replacing the steel aircraft cable every year for the past six years.
    I used to do the Hokey Pokey but I turned myself around.

Upstate NY- see the BIG lake- look just below it...
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320

Hey whistlepig,

Thanks for the link, did you check out their garage sale?

I ended up buying one of their odd pieces for about half the regular price.

Thanks,
    Thomas

Tractor

I use the winch on my ATV to raise and lower a snow blade. The original steel aircraft cable that came with my Warn winch self destructed in the spool. It frayed and broke after one year of use. I replaced it with Amsteel Blue winch rope. I have been using this Amsteel Blue for 6 years in my winch now with no noticeable signs of wear. Not so expensive now compared to replacing the steel aircraft cable every year for the past six years.
    Good point!

Tractor
    Kubota's - B7610, M4700

Another vote for Amsteel Blue.
    My rides - '95 Kubota M4700 w/ PEC, LA1001 FEL :'07 B7610, LA352 FEL, Bush Hog SBX 48 box blade, '09 Woods BH70-X w/ 16" bucket and thumb, 3pt pallet forks, Dale Phillips PHD, Jinma 8" chipper, 2 Piranha's, Winco 12KW PTO generator, Howse plow, 5' KK tiller, 5' Big Bee cutter, with a 2002 7.3L Ford F350 CC DRW 4x4 and '07 18' Hudson HSE Deluxe trailer - 5 Ton to haul it all

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

If you work in a factory that has overhead cranes, or know of someone. Put a word in to the maint crew that you need a cable to pull trees down. They have to change them every so often, and the old used ones are real good for yanking down trees. That's what I use, along with an assortment of grade 70 chains/come alongs/nylon straps...
    48" CID QA forks, 6' EverythingAttachments Land Plane, 78" JRW rear blower, homemade 1 ton rear weight, homemade boom

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast