Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
I have an old echo weed wacker that has run faithfully for a long time. I ran it out of gas about a month ago, went back a week later, and it started right up, but when I hit the throttle it stalls out. What do I need to do to fix it? Thanks

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #2  
I have an old echo weed wacker that has run faithfully for a long time. I ran it out of gas about a month ago, went back a week later, and it started right up, but when I hit the throttle it stalls out. What do I need to do to fix it? Thanks

Try to add some Sea Foam to your mix.

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #3  
My vote would be adjusting the carb, I had a stihl do the same thing.

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #4  
My Sthil has a screen inside the muffler that gets gummed up once in awhile.....if your unit has one....take it out....burn off the gunk...reinstall. My symptoms are exactly like yours......that's how I know it's time. Good luck.

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #5  
My vote would be adjusting the carb, I had a stihl do the same thing.

That would be my guess, too. I have a Mantis tiller that did the same thing.

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #6  
That would be my guess, too. I have a Mantis tiller that did the same thing.

I also agree that its the carb. My guess is when you ran it out of gas some debris at the bottom of your tank got sucked into the carb. It doesn't take much on those small carbs.

MoKelly

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #7  
Yeah, some junk probably got into the fuel system and then dried out. I'd trace the fuel system route up to and through the carb.

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #8  
Look for a crack in the fuel line between the tank and carb.

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #9  
Yes, weed trimmer and chainsaw fuel lines can crumble and leak or draw in air over time. Additives (Sta-Bil etc) or oil mix contribute to the deterioration, but age alone will do its work. Decades ago I bought rubber replacement line from the hobby shop, but good poly line is easier to find nowadays. (do NOT use silicone .. gas will turn it to jelly)

btw: One of my trimmers needed the choke set at half-way to stay running. While replacing a brittle fuel line I noticed that the carb's attachment nuts had vibrated loose over the years. Snugged 'em up, and with new fuel line it ran like new with no carb adjustment needed.

/ Weed wackeer stalls when I give it gas #10  
Likely the high speed jet on the carb. The carb should be pretty simple and easy to take apart, you can just pull out the jets and clean them with a fine piece of wire from a grill brush or similar. Could also be a fuel line, but if it was working just before the carb getting something in it seems more likely....