How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #1  

HillStreet

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650HST. Kubota Z125S
I want to clear a yard area 60 x 60 feet that is hilly and rocky. I cannot get my B2320 in there because of possible tipping. The area has small brush growing-- about 1.5 inches max. The plan is to landscape with plantings such as small (5 foot) pine bushes, ground cover and mulch.

I have a Stihl weed whacker with brush blade to cut the brush, but how will I get the roots out? Don't the roots have to come out so brush won't grow back? Or should I cut flush with the ground and throw light mulch over them?

It will be a lot of hand work but as I don't want to hire or rent a machine. It does not have to be a perfect grade because of the plants-- kind of a small garden area. This area is at the top of my driveway and I want a more attractive landscape coming up the hill.

Thanks

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #3  
I was going to suggest ratchet rake too but he says the area is too tippy for his tractor.

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #4  
Spray it all and kill everything, then go in with the brush blade. That'll stop most of the stuff from resprouting. Now is a great time to do this while the brush and weeds are leafy.

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #5  
Don't the roots have to come out so brush won't grow back?

No, cut the brush off flush with the ground then spray the stump with Roundup (or a less expensive generic). Just be sure the spray you use has at least 25% glyphosate.

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #6  
Spray it all and kill everything, then go in with the brush blade. That'll stop most of the stuff from resprouting. Now is a great time to do this while the brush and weeds are leafy.
+ 1 :thumbsup:

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #7  

No, cut the brush off flush with the ground then spray the stump with Roundup (or a less expensive generic). Just be sure the spray you use has at least 25% glyphosate.

Either approach would work, but foliar application should be less expensive. A 1.5% glyphosate mix (2.67 ounces of 41% glyphosate per gallon of water) should kill the brush. Glyphosate kills to the roots, so you have to be patient. It will take 10 days or so for the effects to show up.

Steve

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #8  
Either approach would work, but foliar application should be less expensive. A 1.5% glyphosate mix (2.67 ounces of 41% glyphosate per gallon of water) should kill the brush. Glyphosate kills to the roots, so you have to be patient. It will take 10 days or so for the effects to show up.

Steve
Maybe mix in a little 2,4-D for a faster (and/or more complete) kill ?

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All
Thanks for all the responses. After spraying with brush killer, how long till I can plant the new bushes?

/ How To Remove Light Brush-Roots and All #10  
If you apply glyphosate, you can plant the new bushes as soon as you cut down the dead bushes.

Steve

Edit -- I would wait for cooler weather before transplanting. That would be late September/early October in SC, but earlier for you.

Last edited: