Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring

/ Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring #1  

MoKelly

Jefferson County, Mo, ... about 35 miles out of St
Tractor
Bobcat CT235, Bad Boy z-turn, Suzuki Vinson 500 and F-150
The hydro belt tension spring on my Bad Boy Outlaw mower broke last night. Left me stranded in the back.

My question is whether anyone has any experience replacing this spring? Is it easy or hard to replace? Do I need any special tools. I can take the tractor out and lift/block the back of th emower to get access.

Thanks for any insight.

MoKelly

/ Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring #2  
It looks like you are drawing a blank when it comes to anyone having experience with this problem.

I would give the technical staff at Bad Boy a call. I found them to be helpful on the two occasions I have called with questions.

Please let us know what you learn. I have an Outlaw and would be interested in learning about any tips/tricks should I run into this problem.

Good luck.

Steve

/ Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring
It looks like you are drawing a blank when it comes to anyone having experience with this problem.

I would give the technical staff at Bad Boy a call. I found them to be helpful on the two occasions I have called with questions.

Please let us know what you learn. I have an Outlaw and would be interested in learning about any tips/tricks should I run into this problem.

Good luck.

Steve

I am picking up the part tomorrow at my dealer and I'll ask them the question. I only have about 130 hours on the machine (it will be 3 years in September) so I was disappointed the spring broke. I am always wary about hydo work and tend to shy away from that aspect. I feel OK about working on other stuff but, for whatever reason, hydro's make me apprehensive. But, this time I thought I'd give it a try.

I'll post back on what they tell me.

MoKelly

OK. I picked-up the spring today at lunch from the dealer. A whopping $9.99 part left me stranded in the back fields.

I asked for advice on installing the spring:

--- If the belt needs to be installed, the back left tire must be removed in order to get access to everything. Once the tire is removed, there is enough room to install the belt and install the spring.

--- If the belt is already there, it is theoretically possible to install the spring without removing the tire. The work space will be cramped, the rear of the mower will need to be lifted and all the work will be performed on your back looking up.

No special tools are necessary ... just install the spring to the tension pulley first, then to the adjustment screw last. The adjustment screw needs to be in the loosest position to get the spring installed, then tightened to the appropriate level. The appropriate level is such that the space between the springs is just enough to get a credit card inside.

So, I am going to give this a shot this weekend. I will remove the tire as I don't need the frustration of lifting and blocking the rear of the mower and trying to do something I have never done from my back and in tight quarters.

I will let you know how it goes.

MoKelly

Good news. I was able to install the new spring pretty darn easily. I removed the back tire and that gave me plenty of room to work. The belt was in good shape and all went easy.

It took about 30 minutes total ... including removal and replace tire.

After doing this I think I could have done it with the tire still on.

MoKelly

/ Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring #6  
I'm going to file this info in my memory bank in case this problem ever comes up with my Outlaw.

How do you like yours?

I'm reasonably happy with mine, but its the first ZTR I have owned, and so I have no basis for comparison with other ZTRs. I do know that it beats mowing with a 42" Snapper RER.:)

Bad Boy must have been using a bad batch of zerks when my mower was built -- I have had two snap off. Also, a coil on the engine failed at about 75 hours, but that's on Kawasaki.

Had the designer given it a bit more thought, he(she) could have made changing the hydro oil much easier. The screws above the pumps that are to be removed when adding the hydro oil are almost impossible to reach unless you are a contortionist and have small hands. I'm deficient on both counts. :(

Steve

/ Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring #7  
Good news. I was able to install the new spring pretty darn easily. I removed the back tire and that gave me plenty of room to work. The belt was in good shape and all went easy.

It took about 30 minutes total ... including removal and replace tire.

After doing this I think I could have done it with the tire still on.

MoKelly

Good to hear all is well.
I just recently downloaded a service manual from bad boy. It's just basic stuff, like adjusting the hydro, and spring tension and other maintenance items.

I'm going to file this info in my memory bank in case this problem ever comes up with my Outlaw.

How do you like yours?

I'm reasonably happy with mine, but its the first ZTR I have owned, and so I have no basis for comparison with other ZTRs. I do know that it beats mowing with a 42" Snapper RER.:)

Bad Boy must have been using a bad batch of zerks when my mower was built -- I have had two snap off. Also, a coil on the engine failed at about 75 hours, but that's on Kawasaki.

Had the designer given it a bit more thought, he(she) could have made changing the hydro oil much easier. The screws above the pumps that are to be removed when adding the hydro oil are almost impossible to reach unless you are a contortionist and have small hands. I'm deficient on both counts. :(

Steve

I like the Bad Boy quite a lot. I also have a smaller Gravely zero turn which I use to cut the various berms we have around the property. The Gravely has performed flawlessly and is pretty easy to work on in fixing problems and routine maintenance type stuff. It is also not near as heavy as the Bad Boy. The only issues I have had with the Gravely are --- (a) right rear tire had the lug bolt holes warp and the tire actually fell off when my wife was mowing. Very funny at least to me, (b) replaced one blade belt pulley and (c) replaced the blade belt. All really easy. The Gravely has a little over 600 hours. The Gravely lets you feel every bump, hole or groove in the land. It has zero shock absorbing ability.

The Bad Boy mows better, faster and is more comfortable with the upgraded seat. It, however, has had a couple minor issues so far ... (a) hydro belt tension got lose and the steering was poor after about 60 hours (dealer fixed as part of warranty) and (b) the spring just broke. Minor stuff but even minor stuff can strand you. As I think I mentioned, hydro work intimidates me.

And I also agree 100%, zero turn mowing is must better than using a RFM.

MoKelly

/ Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring #9  
I have a montana zero turn. I have replaced about six springs on idler pulley. Can you tell me why they keep breaking? Is there something else i need to change or check?

/ Bad Boy Mower Hydro Belt Tension Spring #10  
I have a montana zero turn. I have replaced about six springs on idler pulley. Can you tell me why they keep breaking? Is there something else i need to change or check?
Replacing the hydro belt tension spring on your Bad Boy Outlaw mower can be a straightforward process, but it may require some mechanical knowledge and special tools. Here are some steps to consider:

1. Gather necessary tools: You may need a socket wrench set, pliers, and a new tension spring. Refer to the mower's owner's manual for the exact size of socket needed for the job.
  2. Raise the mower: Lift and block the back of the mower to gain access to the hydro belt tension spring.
  3. Remove the old spring: Use pliers to remove the old spring from its attachment points.
  4. Install the new spring: Install the new spring onto the attachment points. Refer to the owner's manual to ensure proper installation.
  5. Adjust the tension: Use the socket wrench to adjust the tension of the new spring, ensuring that it is not too tight or too loose.
  6. Lower the mower: Remove the blocks and lower the mower back down to the ground.
If you're not comfortable performing this repair yourself, it's best to seek the assistance of a professional mechanic. You can find qualified professionals in your area through resources like Yard Curator (Yard Curator – Make Your Lawn Green!), a platform that connects homeowners with trusted local lawn care and landscaping professionals. A professional can help diagnose and repair the issue with your Bad Boy Outlaw mower, ensuring it is running smoothly and efficiently.