Smooth yard with sprinkler system

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #1  

RBLapham

Silver Member
Tractor
2010 John Deere X300
I've searched for smoothing a yard and all the ways suggested would destroy a sprinkler system. I just bought a new house in TN, I have about 3/4 acre of lawn - fescue. Neighbors said the previous owners had tons of trees planted and removed many, I also took out 6. So the yard has pot holes from the tree removals and then ruts from whatever (possibly from sprinkler system install). Their are too many for just filling by hand, I tried. So the problem is how to smooth out the yard with a sprinkler system installed? I know where the sprinkler heads are but no idea where all the buried pipes are. Holes and ruts are up to 6 inches deep. I am willing to reseed and will probably hire someone.

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #2  
Part of my business is laser grading football fields, and almost all of them have an irrigation system installed.

If you locate the sprinkler heads, and dig up around them, they usually are attached with a flexible pipe. I suggest you dig them up, and remove the sprinkler head from the flexible pipe, and bury the pipe back into the ground. Then do your leveling. When you are done, turn the sprinkler system on and locate the wet spots where the flexible pipes are, and dig them up and re-install your sprinkler heads.

The head are usually attached with a barb connection. It may be easiest to just cut the flexible pipe at the head when you remove them, then remove the small piece of flex pipe off of the head to re-install. No special tools are needed to install the heads, because they just push on.

Your lateral pipes should be deep enough that you don't have to worry about hitting them, but that's not always the case. The main thing you want to avoid hitting is the valves. There are wires connected to the valves, and it take more work to repair them.

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system
Good advice on removing the sprinkler heads and sounds quite easy, I hope I don't need to go that far. Possibly just removing the ones in the center of the yard while leaving the edge ones alone. Center ones are about 5, outer about 15. I was hoping to be able to spread topsoil everywhere and where the spots are deep I would reseed. Would a box blade, landscape rake or chain link drag work to smooth out the topsoil? Would like to have most of the lawn survive the process and just seed spots.

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #4  
Adding soil would be the easiest way to go. And the box blade would be the tool to use to get most of it done. Then drag it with the chain link to finish it off, then seed it and water, water, water it.

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #5  
Good advice from Complete Lawn Care and is what I do.

Had an estimate from a guy that uses a Bobcat, 4 large truckloads of topsoil at $500 per load, and then the other charges came to almost $3,000. :( He was going to spread the soil and smooth using the Bobcat bucket. Seems like way too much dirt for a .8 acre property less the ranch house size probably about half the lot. This did not include planting or seeding - just dirt and spreading. I guess I'm back to shovel and rake. What type of business should I be looking for to do this simple task? Don't need yard leveled, just smoothed!

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #7  
That amount of topsoil sounds way too much for that size plot but without a better understanding of how many and large the holes are it is possible that much would be needed. I'd be curious of the cubic yds. Anyway that $ seems way to high for that work around my area.

Really the guys gave some good advice. Get some loose dry topsoil delivered and find someone with a loader to dump the bucket in the low areas are smooth out a little by back dragging with the loader. Then i would spread little deposits of the topsoil around the property and drag it with a chain harrow without too much weight to smooth the entire property. Too much weight and you might catch the sprikler heads so be careful. At this time it might be good to aerate too. Then overseed. This should keep you suitable results. If you keep the lawn fairly thick and healthy it is quite so rough mowing.

Thank you myyas33, I was going to rent one of those walk behind bobcat units and use it. The holes and ruts are only 2 to 6" deep but all over. Settleing from the sprinkler install and heard from neighbors that the builder didn't do a very good job (20 years ago) When mowed the grass is smooth and it looks flat but taking a walk you can twist an ankle real easily. I have a Lawn tractor and plug aerator but will need to rent a drag or find some chain link fence. The dirt he said for $500 a load was pulverized and the truck was the largest dump non-semi. I just had a couple "incidents" at the emergency room so will be going slow at age 72, still too hot here in TN. I'm still looking for someone to hire with a FEL and box blade, reseeding time is still a couple months away.

/ Smooth yard with sprinkler system #9  
If only you were closer, I'd be happy to help you whip this one out in short order. Those mini skid loaders would do the trick but might take longer. If the .9 acres is open, I'd definitely try a larger loader machine if possible. I wouldn't think the box blade would be a necessity with the drag and back dragging of the loader bucket. Good luck.

Here is a Google earth shot of the yard. back just goes to trees
Arial 1.jpg