42" Zturn Mower Blade Question?

/ 42" Zturn Mower Blade Question? #1  

hobie

Silver Member
Tractor
Jazee One
I have a Country Clipper Jazee 1 with a 42" deck. I have only replaced the blades once before, changing them to mulching blades. The mulchers were a set of 3 15" blades. They had suffered a lot of abuse, and I recently ordered replacements from Pat's Small Engine. The new blades are Oregon brand, and looked nicer than the others when new. A friend was helping take the old ones off, and inadvertently removed some of the mounting brackets from the spindles. I got it back together with the new blades, but couldn't remember if the orientation of the blades was important.( On the Clipper mowers the deck flips up for cleaning, sharpening or blade changes. This requires detaching the drive belt from the motor, so orientation of the blades is changed during the re-attachment of the belt). When I engaged the blades the blade tips of the middle + outside blades hit. I removed them, could see no sign of why they might make contact, filed down the ends a tiny bit. They cleared each other when not under power, but as soon as I engaged them under power they hit again. I flipped the deck at least half a dozen times trying to figure it out, and nothing seemed to work. We tried aligning the blades after belt tensioning by jacking the whole mower up, tried having the middle blade perpendicular to others, they still hit! What is wrong? PS: All blades mounted with the notched ends up. The only thing I did that I had not done before, was to put a shot of grease into the lower part of the spindle when the blade mounting brackets were off.

/ 42" Zturn Mower Blade Question? #2  
I bet the Oregon blades are too long. The spindles are offset (outside 2 set back from the center) or at least they are on my MTD 60" Tank. There isn't really much overlap on blade tips, just a little, maybe 1/4 inch. any more and they will hit each other. You need to remove the PTO belt from the deck, invert it and spin the blades and see how much overlap there is and if the tips contact each other. If they do, the blades are too long. My machine actually takes 2 different sets, depending on spindle offset and I use Oregon Gator Mulchers, I like them. Good blades, better than OEM actually.

/ 42" Zturn Mower Blade Question? #3  
I get my blades from Agri-Supply (ASC) or Baileys Online. Both are excellent priced and both carry Oregon and ASC has most of your replacement parts like spindles and idlers.

/ 42" Zturn Mower Blade Question?
The Oregon blades appeared to be same length as the old blades when placed on one end side by side. Couldn't figure out any reason why they should make contact under load, so I ground 1/8" off two of the blades. No more contact problems, and cuts great so far.