3pt Grooming Mower recommendation

/ 3pt Grooming Mower recommendation #1  

papayne

I'm in the market for a finishing/grooming mower and considering two options that I could use opinions on from anyone familiar with these mowers. 1st up is a new TSC, CountyLine 6' finishing mower at $1649.99. It has good reviews on the TSC web site, but spotty reputation in forums, although there isn't a lot of information out there on them. The up side is that it is new. Down side is that it may not be made with the best quality in mind. The 2nd option is a used 2009 LandPride FDR 1660 (60" Patriot model) Grooming mower for $950. I've only seen a picture at this point, but it looks in good shape, just a little rust on the top of the gear box and tops of the gauge wheel assemblies. I also noted that the belt covers are missing. Assuming that the gear box is good, which would you chose? The better quality used or the lesser quality new?

I have no experience with these and not much with Ag equipment in general... I have 10 acres that is mostly horse pasture and nearly flat. Maybe 3 acres of lawn (also pretty flat- but some rough spots from heavy equipment driving on mud). Don't have too many obstructions other than a few trees and fencing. My main considerations are the quality of the cut I can expect and durability. I want something that will last years without having to throw money into it every year to keep it running (like the belly mower I am replacing). I have a 2008 New Holland TC30 compact tractor.

Thanks for your thoughts and any advice or experience you have with these.

/ 3pt Grooming Mower recommendation #2  
I have a Sitrex 180 (72") rear discharge finish mower, have had it for, I'm guessing 15 years now, I know it over 12 years.
It's been a really good mower have never had any problems with it.
Have used it to keep an old hay field mowed, a couple of times a year, and it's all hilly.
Usually running my tractor in 4wd, when I mow those hills.
I recommend a rear discharge in what ever brand finish mower you choose.
I run my finish mower behind a Kubota B7800 which has 22 HP at the PTO.

/ 3pt Grooming Mower recommendation #3  
I bought a used Woods 84" maybe 10 years ago and have had no ussues with it other than replacing the belt two times. It is likely 15 years old. I would tend to go for the higher quality option. Just make sure the condition is acceptable. Since the covers are gone I'd look to see if it has been kept outside. I might pass on it if it looks like water has run into the bearings / spindles every rainstorm and they were rusty. My Woods mower has taken a beating over the last decade and it shows no signs of giving up any time soon. I own several Land Pride products and reguard them just as highly.

/ 3pt Grooming Mower recommendation
Thanks for the responses so far... Turns out, the dealer bought the belt covers and upped the price $300. I'm going to go look at it tomorrow. The salesman said he is in good working order and is hooked up to a tractor, so I can see it in action. I'm leaning toward buying this over the Countyline mower after reading some of the reviews about poor welds and the gauge wheels breaking off after minimal use. Still, welcome more comments from your experiences, particularly if you own LandPride equipment.