RedMax Trimmer's Anyone?

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone? #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
I am in the market for a new trimmer and am considering trying a RedMax. My Stihl FS 200 is pretty much worn out. The FS 200 was rated 2.2 HP and weighs in at 13.9 lbs per the spec sheet. I like the handlebar design with a harness but the RedMax literature only shows two models with handlebars, one rated 1.4 HP and one at 2.0 HP and coming in at 15.2 lbs. These are RedMax's so called Strato Charged 2 cycle engines.

Any thoughts on the RedMax trimmers in general, good or bad? Or, have a recommendation as to which one would work for me. I mostly trim heavy grass on my fence lines but a couple of times a year I put the metal blade on and tame alot of briars and other growth on my right of ways and trails.

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone? #2  
I have had my RedMax for about ten years,,, it was the biggest handlebar/harness unit,, at the time.

The machine is so powerful, you can not cut grass at full throttle,, it will rip the "string" right out of the spool.
The guy that sold it to me gave me a free spool of tire cord line (tire cord molded in the center)
WELL,,, the RedMax will rip that right out at full throttle.

I finally found out it was perfect at about 1/4-1/2 throttle,,, it can cut ANY "soft" weed!!

I guess the full throttle is for the saw blade??

The RedMax does not even slow down when it runs into a clump of two foot tall fescue,,
I never had a machine this powerful before.

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone?
I have had my RedMax for about ten years,,, it was the biggest handlebar/harness unit,, at the time.

The machine is so powerful, you can not cut grass at full throttle,, it will rip the "string" right out of the spool.
The guy that sold it to me gave me a free spool of tire cord line (tire cord molded in the center)
WELL,,, the RedMax will rip that right out at full throttle.

I finally found out it was perfect at about 1/4-1/2 throttle,,, it can cut ANY "soft" weed!!

I guess the full throttle is for the saw blade??

The RedMax does not even slow down when it runs into a clump of two foot tall fescue,,
I never had a machine this powerful before.
At ten years old, do you have any issues with parts? My Stilh is 15 years old or so and parts are becoming an issue. I ask for something and get something that is different from mine. I don't know if there were changes made to my model over the years or what but I need to use an experianced parts person and take my old part along. The same thing happened to my first Stihl trimmer but that one was 20 years old when the parts issue came up.

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone? #4  
I have used it every year,,, probably 20-30 hours a year,,, I am not a heavy user,,, but,, it does get the job done,,, FAST!!

I have never tried to get a part,,,,

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone? #5  
I have a redmax backpack blower that I like a lot. I haven't ever had any trouble from it. I don't have any redmax trimmers.

I have a redmax backpack blower that I like a lot. I haven't ever had any trouble from it. I don't have any redmax trimmers.
Do you have one with that "Strato Charged" technology that they advertise?

I have read some of the threads on TBN about the RedMax blowers. All good as I recall?

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone? #7  
Do you have one with that "Strato Charged" technology that they advertise? I have read some of the threads on TBN about the RedMax blowers. All good as I recall?
I don't think mine is strato charged. I'm pretty sure it's a EBZ 6500

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone? #8  
In 2013 I replaced my worn out Tanaka trimmer with a RedMax regular torque commercial trimmer with straight solid drive shaft. Forgot the model number.

Used it on my ranch (1/4 mile fenceline, 1/4 mile ditches, plus normal landscaping trimming work).

Got rid of the bump feed cassette and replaced it with a clamp-type head that takes 16" lengths of string (I used multisided 0.155" string).

Used it for three seasons until I sold the ranch. New owner bought it. I had no problems with it. You just had to yank the starter rope hard and quick to get the engine turning fast enough to start on the 1st or 2nd pull.

Good luck

/ RedMax Trimmer's Anyone? #9  
Do you have one with that "Strato Charged" technology that they advertise?

I have read some of the threads on TBN about the RedMax blowers. All good as I recall?

I've only heard good stuff about Redmax power equipment. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I think that Redmax was bought out by Husqvarna because Husky wanted to use their strato-charging technology in their equipment. Redmax also isn't the only one using strato engines. Most of the new Stihl lineup is strato-charged.

I ended up buying a used Stihl FS 90 R for $125 for now. I happened to mention my trimmer situation to a casual friend and he asked me if I would be interested in buying his FS 90 R. He is kind of in bad shape and it was too heavy for him.

He had it wound up with that .105 yellow triangular line from Lowe's. Turned out that stuff worked out pretty well overall. I had been using the Stihl 3 bladed head (I actually wore out six of them with my old FS 200 over the years), but had to be more careful around steel T-posts. My place also has some of that white plastic board fence with the four inch square posts. Those plastic blades will tear up the posts so I had to be careful there as well. I actually did all of my fence line and yard trimming in less time than with the larger trimmer. Though, I don't see it working as well with a steel blade on the heavier stuff. I shall see.

Initially, the hand throttle right in front of the engine bothered my wrist. I guess I got used to it because I thought I would be really sore afterwards but was not. I even looked at taking the handlebar setup off of my old trimmer to use on the new one but the throttle cable is different.

Anyway, this used trimmer will get me by for now I suppose. I just picked up the Vanguard engine for my zero turn after having a valve job with one new head done on that so the piggy bank does not have much "rattle" to it. But, I will keep checking out the RedMax models when I stop by the mower shop.