Poison Ivy

/ Poison Ivy #61  
Nubian goats love it. A pet goat and it will keep the tasty poison ivy taken care of for you :)

/ Poison Ivy #62  
I've been mowing mine for several years expecting I can get it under control, but can't. I have cut huge trunks of it on many trees and applied round-up poison ivy version, but it keeps coming back. I need to try the 24D spraying in the larger patches on the ground and see if that will get it under control. The root systems on my property are amazing.

I get it at least once a year, usually just from mowing although I cover up very well and do all the shower tricks and inside out clothes as soon as I'm done and home. It pops up all over my body regardless of where I got exposed generally. When I get it, I always have to go to my father-in-law (a PA) and get a shot of cortisone to clear it up.

I actually have my property listed for sale. When/if buying another, I will walk it looking for poison ivy first...

/ Poison Ivy #64  
I am lucky enough that it does not effect me, I can get in the thick of it and weedwhack and not be bother by the liquid and bits that get on me or my clothes. Does not bother me burning it up or down stream.

My poor wife is sensitive and gets it from handling the clothing, won't let me touch her washer and dryer.

My oldest son gets broken out all over from just being near it. He is married and away now so no worries.

Goats are great for it, they will not go after the thicker vines of poison ivy but anything green they will eat before anything else on the property. Only certain kinds of goats, I have a friend with Nubians and borrow them from time to time. Was going to get a pet goat but I hate goats.

/ Poison Ivy #66  
Wow, Tractorshopper... That sounds like a horror story. You may have some GMO mutant hybrid killer version that deserves study! I hunt a lot in swampy areas and I have seen some huge vines that would carry Tarzan. I have never tried to kill anything like that. We have had good luck with round-up. We spray the leaves in sunlight if possible. It knocks the stuff down pretty well, but it may need a re-spray in a week or 2. If the area is really heavy, it may need another treatment after that. In the spring we are on it when the leaves appear. After a year or 2 of that we were able to get ours under control. Good luck!

/ Poison Ivy #67  
Add 1 gallon of household white vinegar to 1 cup of regular table salt.
Stir until diluted.
Spray leaves liberally.
You'll still have to wear gloves to pull the vines, if you feel the need, but there's no need to do so.
A teaspoon of dish soap, to act as a surfactant, also helps the process along.

My 2¢ worth of advice.

Down here in Florida we know how to deal with vines of all sorts.