Poison Ivy

/ Poison Ivy #1  

dmk

We just purchased a new family place.
There are several big oak trees that have poison ivy on them.
What's the best way to kill / remove it and not hurt the tree?

I've heard that I need to pull it down (almost in a hazmat suit).
Others have said to cut it and then "paint" the ends with killer.

The place I am concerned with the most is near a tree/playhouse.

We are using Remedy for weed control.

/ Poison Ivy #2  
If you cut a piece out of the vine so that there is a break in the vine the top will die. Paint the stub of the bottom with pure Remedy and you should be done. Ed

/ Poison Ivy
Cool. Then just pull it down when it does? Oils still stay so gloves and all that right?

/ Poison Ivy #4  
Just getting over a go around with poison ivy. The first bump caught me off guard, because folks were talking about black flies.
I would suggest cutting it back and then round up on the leaves of the remainder of the plant. Anything that might of come in contact should be washed with dish soap (sunlight) to break down the oil. I use sunlight on myself unit I get the rash under control.
Right now my garden hose has been washed with sunlight and it's soaking in the lake. Poison ivy has been sprayed. Waiting for it to die before I start removing it. Then I'll repeat my sunlight soap scrubbing. It's nasty stuff it it gets ahead of you. I spent 90 days on steroids 15 years ago after it got all over the interior of my truck. If you search the TBN archives you'll find a sad thread on a fatality.
Be careful.

/ Poison Ivy
Wow. Definitely going to exercise caution.

/ Poison Ivy #7  
Some folk are less allergic than others. Might get one of the folk that don't have issues with it to come rip it out for a 12 pack some evening...

/ Poison Ivy #8  
As stated some folks are far more sensitive than others. Cut and treat the living end. Let the vine sit a couple of years to dry out. Even then cover up totally. Or better yet find someone that claims immunity to do it. As said don't burn it, that can be a death sentence. I have had a serious case and it is a bad experience.

/ Poison Ivy
A couple of years? Wow. Guess I may suit up. Try to pull down and spray bottom. Need it off of at least the one tree. The others I can deal with slow.

/ Poison Ivy #10  
Well if you suit up good, you can deal with it. Have you ever been exposed to it?