Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #1  

bayds

Tractor
Husqvarna
Hello everyone,
New member to the forum here. I have very much enjoyed reading up on the variety of topics found on the forum and was hoping I could get some advice on the situation I am in.

Situation:
- Newly built house on 2.5 acre lot. The property was pretty much entirely overgrown with weeds. I have spent this past summer cutting down the weeds and spraying them with herbicide to try and get them under control. So far it's been pretty successful as they have been reduced significantly from when I first started.
- We live in Canada so winters are cold so I was planning on seeding next fall. Want to take the time to get the property prepared correctly to hopefully increase the chances of success in planting the seed next year. I recently had the property rough graded using a bobcat so the ground is now fairly packed in certain areas and has tire ruts all over the place which will need to be leveled out again prior to laying the seed.

My thoughts/plan - this is where any input or advice will be very much appreciated!!

This fall:
- Give the entire property another good spray of roundup to try and kill all remaining vegetation on the property.
- Till the entire yard to break up the packed clay ground. My fear in doing this is that it is going to open the seed bed to just create even more weeds that have been controlled. Not sure how else I can break up the compacted and rough ground though.

Next year:
- Continue to spray herbicide to kill existing weeds that pop up in the spring.
- Till ground in late summer to get rid of all the dead weeds and break up ground further.
- Harrow entire property to try and smooth out the ground for seeding.
- Seed in the fall

Based on my all of my research, I just can't seem to find a consistent method of going about this so I'm not sure if I'm heading down the correct path or if i'm going about this in the wrong way. If anyone has some experience with this or can share their advice it will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #2  
I'd use a moldboard plow, one that turns the soil over and buries the weed seed. Then use a tandem disc with an attached drag to break up the clods and smooth the seed bed. Use a broadcast seeder and roll the seed into good contact with the soil. Then water frequently.

Good luck

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #3  
I would use a Chisel Plow, a Primary Tillage implement, or a the lighter version of a Chisel Plow, the Field Cultivator, a Secondary Tillage implement.

Either will aerate your ground without bringing up new seeds.

Attachments

• M156.jpg
    M156.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 349
  • DSC00346.jpg
    DSC00346.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 340
  • DSC00382.jpg
    DSC00382.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 671
  • DSC00364.jpg
    DSC00364.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 417
   / Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #4  
I don't know about Canada, eh! I would RoundUp, wait 10 days then till (do you have a tractor tiller or walk behind? Tractor tilling is so much better...) This will bring up weed seeds but if you plant grass seeds correctly (soil test, fertilize before tilling and cultipacking for a good seed bed) the grass seed will get a better start.

Next year, follow up with broad leaf herbicides that will kill weeds and not grasses... Longer you wait the more of the good top soil will wash away. :2cents:

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #5  
By "next fall" do you mean a year from now? If so you'll spend the next year fighting weeds. If for some reason you can't plant this year I'd put a heavy layer of some mulch. Then next year right before seeding turn the mulch in.

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please
Thanks very much for all the responses.

- We do have access to a tractor tiller (thanks to our neighbor).
- We were planning on seeding next fall (year from now) for a few reasons. We are kind of running out of time to do it this year and second I wanted to give it some time to see some rainfalls to ensure we have no significant low areas or poor drainage. I see other properties in the area that have significant pools of water after every rainfall. I just want to make sure the grade is how we want it or it's just going to create more work for ourselves later.

Thanks.

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #7  
Down here I'd broadcast winter rye and spread straw. That would help to suppress weeds and control erosion. I had to do this a few winters ago when we had to replace a drain field in winter. This works here because the rye dies back in the warmer months. We then planted Fescue in the spring - wrong time of year but we had to get something growing.

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #8  
I see other properties in the area that have significant pools of water after every rainfall.

I want to make sure the grade is how we want it or it's just going to create more work for ourselves later.

Pools and puddles are from poor drainage. Solve by aerating as in Post #3.

Last edited:
   / Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #9  
I'm a little bit later getting to you with a reply than the others, but I am currently working through a similar project in northern NY. I have four acres of old brushy overgrown pasture, that I'm turning into a wildflower meadow, so I don't have to mow it.

Day 0: I brush hogged for a whole season, then moldboard plowed it over in the fall #1. This worked pretty well at killing the sod and most of the weed vegetation. It did turn up a bunch of little woody roots from the stuff I brush hogged which are a pain, but by turning them, it helps kill them permanently so they don't re-shoot from the roots. Then I bought a disc and I've been discing it every few weeks during spring and summer #1, whenever I get a good crop of weeds. It's true that these old fields have a TON of ungerminated dormant weed seeds that will germinate after each tillage, as long as they have the rain and rain. By tilling and allowing them to germinate followed by re-tilling, the idea is to consume to whole lot of seeds before planting. You must do so before they too go to seed, obviously. Because this summer has been dry, I'm not convinced I've gotten all, or even most, of the seeds to germinate. I know this actually, because when we finally started getting rain again about a week ago, the weeds took right off again. Because of the hot dry summer, I'm going to give it another year. I'm not in a huge hurry.

I'm going to continue to till through this fall (fall #2) and hopefully have a very loose soil when the frosts come, to kill even more. Then I'll evaluate as I till through next summer. In fall #3 I plan to to a final shallow till and seed with a 3PT broadcast spreader. I may even spray at this point, so I don't have to get real aggressive with the final till, or posisbly could skip the last till. This will prevent encouraging more deep dormant seeds germinating, and wild flowers don't need to be real deep anyway. If you think about the natural process, the seeds don't usually have a chance to get real deep, so there's no need to till deep and chance more weeds coming up after the sod is properly tilled up. Once they're spread, I'll roll them in during fall and wait for spring.

Like you, I will do a fall planting, because what I want to plant includes perennials. It's extremely important with a perennial like grass or certain wildflowers, that the first season be as long as possible in order to develop healthy enough roots to over winter the first year, so I feel you're right on there.

Anyway, things like this are where people will have a lot of opinions, but I've done a lot of homework and for my soil and my climate, this is certainly best.

One thing I considered and opted against was a drag. My soil is rocky and has a high-ish clay content. The drag harrow wasn't going to do the job without several more passes. The disc is smoothing things out nicely and not bringing every last rock to the surface like a drag. Another thing, is that I had nasty pooling, but that is related to the amount of clay in my soil. I've had to disc mine more than people in other places to break of the soil enough to allow the water through. Right now, my water table is extremely low, from the drought, but I still had water sitting on the pasture in a few places. It takes a lot of work to get that clay broken up.

/ Preparing/seeding 2.5 acre property - Advice please #10  
Round up , then Go find a slit seeder for a tractor. And read about dormant seeding . I have had good sucess with it .