Bought a DR leaf and lawn vac

/ Bought a DR leaf and lawn vac #1  

kevinwak

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 2520
Just ordered myself a DR leaf and lawn vac to assist in collecting my lawn clippings in my backyard. Our yard sits really low in the back, and therefore has tons of moisture even on dry years. The grass has been piling and clumping on the mower discharge and doesn't have time to dry out or rot between cuttings as it is growing so quick.

I looked at many different options for picking up lawn clippings and this is the one I settled on. I started with a lawn sweep and was always frustrated with its effectiveness. I looked at the powerflo bagger for my 2520, but the price was more then double what it was when I last checked. I thought of buying the blower portion of the powerflo and making a huge self dumping bin to ride on the 3pt hitch, but just don't have time to make the bin until winter. So I ordered the DR. It should arrive in a few weeks. One of the huge advantages I see to it is it is universal to different mowers, so if/when I buy a more dedicated mower or a zero turn in the future as my yard grows in I can still use it. I can also use it in my parents mower for fall leave pickup. The big disadvantage I see to the DR is pulling a trailer and not having it hang from the 3pt.

/ Bought a DR leaf and lawn vac
Well, it finally showed up. I need to cut the deck adapter to fit and then I am in business! 52280012388__E8DAA7F2-DBB4-4CCC-845C-9B5B4A3F698E.JPG

Got the deck adaptor fitted on and tried it out today. I was kinda rushed, but was so pleased with the results. It plowed through what were huge mounds of half rotten grass from past mowings without issues. I mowed the majority of my yard and only filled it four times. Love love love it 52323997224__40791D22-0D1E-41D9-AD35-FB0F64B7211F.JPG
Turns out I only have a picture of the finished pile of grass and not the machine in action.

Last edited:
I have a few modifications in mind for the lawn vac. I'm not sure if I actually need to do them or not, time and use will tell.
First one, a remote mounting of the throttle and engine kill switch. Thinking of mounting them on a plate that I attach to the tractor fender with a big magnet.

Second, it is probably really easy to convert the dump mechanism to hydraulic or an electric actuator. Not sure if I need this, time will tell how often I have to dump it, but I currently have to get off twice to dump.

/ Bought a DR leaf and lawn vac #7  
I have a few modifications in mind for the lawn vac. I'm not sure if I actually need to do them or not, time and use will tell.
First one, a remote mounting of the throttle and engine kill switch. Thinking of mounting them on a plate that I attach to the tractor fender with a big magnet.

Second, it is probably really easy to convert the dump mechanism to hydraulic or an electric actuator. Not sure if I need this, time will tell how often I have to dump it, but I currently have to get off twice to dump.

I got a dr also, did you ever relocate the switches? I realized I needed a better way to kill it the 1st time I let it completely fill up. Know what I mean??!!