New self propelled mower thoughts

/ New self propelled mower thoughts #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
I am starting to look for a new mower in the 22" inch range. I can be a bit bigger but I need it for cutting around beds and walkways with tight turns where the regular zero turn won't quite fit. Also in area where I can't fit a mower through a gate and such.
I currently been using a Honda (don't recall the model # but about $500 but has those crappy plastic wheels that don't hold up.). Basically have worn it out in 5 seasons

Would like a commercial quality mower
Plan to cut up to 2 acres a week with it in total (mostly closer to 1 acre a week)
Thinking a Honda GX motor but open to others of similar quality
Will be used on hills frequently
Would like a bagger with a mulch option available.

What would you all recommend ? I have looked at the Snapper (21") Honda GX160 Commercial and liked it but am totally open to all options. I can buy locally or even order online if needed as I am open to all options.

Thanks

/ New self propelled mower thoughts #2  
I don't know that I've ever seen a broken Honda wheel. Are you saying that the tread didn't hold up? Honda's are ball bearing, most Toro have the perma-lube bushing. Cheap versions get wobbly , but these don't. Many Snapper versions were great at putting grass in the bag due to the lip of the steel deck models. Ninja blades would cut the grass ridiculously fine, though could leave the grass on top. There aren't many Snappers by me in my area so to tell you what the current models are like, I've not a clue. Favorites of mine are Toro and Honda on consumer lines and Toro on the Proline. What do the commercial landscapers use by you? When you are out there looking, lift that bag off the back and think what it would be like with 30 pounds of grass in it to empty. The same with the drive controls. I like the Personal Pace type drives myself, but the Hondas do fine.

/ New self propelled mower thoughts
To explain a bit more:
Right now both backs wheels are shot and need replaced - think "slicks". The front two wheels may have another season left but are almost smooth also. The electric start has died (got that for the teenage son since a mower is "so hard to start" - don't get me started on that...), At the end of the season I noticed it does not want to restart when warm, needs a new drive belt and blade. This year it got a replacement air filter, new plug, (and normal oil changes of course) Seems by the time I do all that, I still have a well used mower and may as well sell it for a few bucks and be done with it (even crappy Honda's get silly money used around here. -will note all problems but it looks great). It also has the consumer grade motor.

So with all that I was just thinking maybe it is time to get a "good one."
Some times in the summer I will cut for 3-4 hrs straight with it so it does get some use and it just seems the homeowner versions start to wear out, especially since our yard is that true county yard that is a bit rough in spots.

/ New self propelled mower thoughts #5  
I thought about giving my opinion for what it's worth, but tomplum already has said it as well as it could be said. So I just second what he said.:laughing:

/ New self propelled mower thoughts #6  
I've an old JD 14SB and about a 3 or 4 year old Honda. Both are self propelled and start good. Yeah, the rear treads are almost smooth on the Honda, but I'll just replace them this season. Can't be too expensive. I checked. They're not the same as the fronts. The Honda's the best starting mower I've ever owned. It sometimes won't start hot because the cable on the kill lever stretches. All you have to do is to give it a tug to the side to get it to crank over. Have had to teach the wife to do this.

One of my neighbors has a Toro that he replaced his old Simplicity tractor with. It's a 30 incher. They have the technology where the mower only moves as you move. Neat. Heard they're easy to start and reliable. Don't know how their wheels are.

I always mulch with mine. NEVER have used the bag. Tried it for one round on a mower in NJ and asked myself, "what am I doing this for. Stupid." Let the grass fall back, well mulched. Best for the grass.

Ralph

I been starting to look at the 30" models also - seems there are some nice commercial ones available. We do bag the yard, not all the time but fairly often. Use the clippings for making compost and bag the leaves.
As for what pro's use around us - funny but most do not have a 20" mower on the trailer. The semi pro guys use whatever is around (the guys that mow with an old beater truck and no insurance) -heck some of them are the $89.00 Walmart specials....

Went and looked at an ExMark today - NICE mower. About 1300 for the 21", 1900 for a 30" - darn well built and I really like the hydrostatic tranny on the 30". Hard to handle the price but if it holds up it would be worth it to us. I am also setting things up for doing some commercial mowing down the road so thinking this maybe a good purchase to further that plan also. Anyone know of other mowers in the same class?

/ New self propelled mower thoughts #10  
There has been some scuttlebutt on the Ybravo and Bad Boy though I've never seen one. Exmark is a Toro product and they have good dealer support. The 30" in the Timemaster is generally well liked.