Can I plant grass seed over moss?

/ Can I plant grass seed over moss? #1  

bczoom

Veteran Member
I have a pretty steep hill in front of my house. It's been somewhat neglected in the lawn care area due to the terrain but I really need to get something on it. I got a ZTR last year and with it I believe I can mow most of it so I was wanting to plant grass.

Right now, there's a mix of weeds, moss and a little grass. If I throw grass seed on the moss, will it take or do I need to rip the moss out? I was going to take care of killing the weeds later.

/ Can I plant grass seed over moss? #2  
Get a soil test to determine why the moss was growing. I would roundup the area to get rid of the moss and weeds first unless the grass is a substantial amount and mixed in the whole area.

/ Can I plant grass seed over moss?
Jeff,

I should get a soil sample and/or apply round-up but I'm honestly pressed for time. I raked the area yesterday and where I ripped the moss out, it's now bare dirt. I want to get it covered quickly before erosion occurs. Same reason for not applying the roundup. The weeds aren't that bad so I figured I could spray with weed and feed once the grass is established.

The moss is in an area that doesn't get much sunlight. I can rip the moss out but didn't know if I could grow the grass through it and leave it there for erosion control until the grass gets a good footing. It's also a relatively large area so if I don't need to pull the moss, it would save me a bunch of labor.

Thanks
Brian

/ Can I plant grass seed over moss? #4  
What kind of grass are you wanting to plant? I would think most ryes or fescues would work thru/around the moss. If it does not get enough sunlight to support anything but moss will grass grow? Are you planning to get more sunlight but removing or thinning trees?

The grass seed:
40% Kentucky Bluegrass
20% Creeping red fescue
20% Prelude II perennial ryegrass
20% Radiant perennial ryegrass

The hill faces the east and has no "tree" obstructions until the sun has gone a little over the top (straight up). I qualified the obstruction as "tree" since the sun has to clear a 350' tall hill in my back yard before the sun comes up. Basically, it does and can get direct sun for at least 3-4 hours/day. Trees and another 350' hill to the west assures it gets no afternoon sun.

I think the moss and weeds are there because there hasn't been any attempt do put any grass on it in probably 10 years. 10 years ago we tried to plant some grass but had a terrible growing season and most of the seed got washed away. I left it alone and ended up with the moss/grass/weed mix which I left just for erosion control.

/ Can I plant grass seed over moss? #6  
I get moss where grass cannot grow. I think the problem is the same, that is - grass won't grow but the moss will.

I'd be interested in a cure, other than 'move' the slope around to where the sun will hit it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( grass won't grow but the moss will.

I'd be interested in a cure, other than 'move' the slope around to where the sun will hit it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )</font>

It's funny that the grass is growing fine on this hill where I actually planted and took care of it.

I had thought of moving/removing the hill. I discarded the thought since I would have to remove the township road that we need to get to the grocery store as well as leveling the neighbors hill that is 350' tall and covers approx. 20 acres.

/ Can I plant grass seed over moss? #8  
Just mow the weeds /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Usually moss grows in acidic conditions, may need lime to neutralize it a bit. Soil test would tell.

/ Can I plant grass seed over moss? #9  
Brian,
IMO: Cut the weeds/moss short. Broadcast the grass seed. Lightly rake to get ground contact or runover w/ RTV. Keep moist till germination then do what is recomended by the soil test.

Thanks Guys.

Sounds like grass seed is OK going over the moss. Weeds will be killed after grass is mature. I'll get the soil tested.

Too steep for RTV (or really anything else). I mow as much as I can (until serious pucker) with the ZTR going straight up and down then use a weedeater on the rest. I tried a push mower in the past but it's too hard to keep it from rolling down the hill.