Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work?

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #1  

davesisk

Platinum Member
Tractor
Massey-Ferguson MF 1220
I need to do some seeding with grass seed that really needs to be buried rather than just spread on top the ground. (Planning on sowing some Centipede grass in the spring...maybe that will actually grow in my yard!) So, I'm wondering how well something like this works:

Agri-Fab Spiker/Seeder — 100-Lb. Capacity, 32in. Width, Model# 45-0309 |Lawn Spreaders | Northern Tool + Equipment

The other option is to just rent a walk-behind overseeder, which to my understanding, does something similar in that it slits a hole and drops seed into it. I would guess that a gas-powered walk-behind slit seeder probably works a little better than the tow-behind slit seeder, but I don't know that for sure.

Has anyone used one of these? How well does it work? I don't see a way to add weight, so I'd imagine it works fairly well in terms of slitting when the seed hopper is full, but stops slitting well when the seed hopper gets empty. I suppose I could add a rail or post or two and just hang some weights on it though...

Let me know your thoughts or experiences. Thanks!

Dave

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #2  
Never used one but at 45#, it may be next to useless for penetration and seed be preparation. Even if full of seed the amount of additional weight won't make a difference. If you want to overseed, rent an overseeder and you will be much farther ahead. Overseeders tend to tear up the surface a little. I can't imagine much seed falling in those tiny slits.

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #3  
I just till up the area, then spread the grass seed on top and then take a drag and go over it a couple of times. This has worked very successful for me many times.

I think the item you listed will be more a waste of money than good. That is just my opinion.

murph

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #4  
Check around at the rental places. You may find a Ryan overseeder. They will do a good job for you. They are about 3 ft. wide, weigh around 450 lb, and are selfpropelled. Do a search for Ryan overseeder to seen one, they are a split seeder. I have used one and was plesed with the resluts. Cost around $125.00. A new one is 6-7 thousand.

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work?
Thanks guys. I really don't want to till up the area...just want to overseed to minimize the mess. So, even if I added some weight to this guy you think it would still stink? Sounds like rental is the best option...

Dave

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #6  
The mess is not bad and the new seed will grow faster in loose soil than compacted soil just as long as you get some rain.

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #7  
Looking at how the wheels are mounted on that. I'd be afraid of adding too much auxilary weight to it. I'd rent a pro model for the day (or half day) and get the job done better and probably quicker.

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #8  
Dave,
I bought the 42" version of what you are looking at. I modified it by adding a second set of slitting knives in between the existing ones to double the the cuts into the ground. The wheels are for transport only and I threw two 50# bags of fertilizer on top of the hopper for weight and it buried the knives. I also took a cheap push broom, cut it in half lengthwise and mounted these to a 2x4 that I then hooked to the back of the seeder to act as a drag to set the seed in the slits. I put some weight on this broom drag too. Worked pretty well.

If you are planting grass that creeps like bluegrass, you'll eventually get the bare spots to fill in. If you plant something like my turf tall fescue (a bunch grass) then you hope for seeds to germinate pretty close to each other. That's why I doubled the slit knives. If you are interested I can try to get a picture.

Realize that most powered slit overseeders are not exactly dropping seed right next to each other. You rely on some spreading to fill in the bare spots or you go over the area in different directions several times and the machines do kind of tear up the existing turf. In my opinion, there is not the perfect solution out there for overseeding.

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #9  
I purchased one of the type you are considering. Use it once and parked it. A relatively small percentage of dropped seed ever found its way into the minimal slits which are not really slits but spiked holes.

I agree with those recommending rental. Personally I have never rented but have a couple items that really do a great job. One is a 42 inch wide power rake with teeth that slits if set low. The other is a three point mounted aerator that Iuse to drill many many holes and then broadcast seed. Both of these work extremely well.

/ Tow-behind slit seeders - how well do they work? #10  
Got one, don't waste your money.