LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS

/ LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS #1  

AJ197816134

Bronze Member
Tractor
soon to be
I am back at it, looking into the purchase of an xr 3135HC or XR4145HC

I am going to go hydro, due to physical limitations with my right leg, the effort of braking when the leg acts up is sometimes too much.

How are the Hyrdo's?

I see a lot of Shuttle Shift's on the LOTs. But where we looked tonight, NONE.

Any reasons Why?

/ LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS #2  
With the hydro your right leg is going to require constant pressure on the go pedals for forward and reverse. But once your speed is set you can use cruise control. Brakes are on the left. I have the older model XR3037HC and rarely use the brake. On level ground taking your foot off the fwd/rev pedals and it will stop. I use the parking brake when parking on a hill or loading on a trailer. Parking brake needs to be set each time before leaving the seat to avoid the warning beeper. Usually gear models are used for ground engagement attachments like a lot of field work. I like hydro for easier loader work, snow plowing or any repetitive forward / reverse work.

/ LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS
The downward pressure is no problem, as driving a vehicle is no problem. What I found with trying these "shuttles" is the brake on the right is just too much of an angle change, which hurts more.

How do you like your hydro? I will be mainly doing loader work, Moving debris, wood, snow removal. Possibly in the future some mowing.

I am thinking of buying just the Tractor and FEL now, and not doing the hoe. Trying to save a little cabbage.

/ LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS #4  
I've owned and driven many tractors over the years. Prior to 2004 all were gear tractors. In 04 I bought my first HST and after using HST I would never go back to gear. IMO for the uses you are planning I would get the HST and if financing its worth a few extra bucks a month to get the cab model. I didn't buy the backhoe with mine as I don't have many uses for one. However, I found a used Woods BH with a sub frame in great shape and at a good price and bought it. I adapted the frame to fit my LS and have used it twice without any problem. In Feb 2014 I decided to buy a cab tractor for winter use. Great to have heat in winter for plowing and moving snow. I built a QA power angle plow for the tractor out of a truck plow and it works great. Last week I obtained a PA plow for my truck. Still have to buy the truck mount and under hood wiring. Once finished installing the truck plow I will probably sell the QA plow and only use tractor bucket for moving snow.

Good luck and keep us posted what you buy.

We are working everything out with financing as we speak. Found a great deal on a NEW but model year old machine, so we are close to pulling the trigger... More information to come.

I think Hydro is the Answer, while shifting does not bother me, the operation of pedals like the brake for the right leg at certain angles do. I have no problems in a vehicle but the tractor is a different animal.

I know some don't think Hydro belong on tractors, but it's there for a reason.

/ LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS #6  
Is the hydro on LS mechanical or like E hydro on Deere?

/ LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS #7  
I have a XR4150H, love the hydro but it's my first tractor. I have no use of my right leg, or left for that matter, and have mounted a hand control on my hydro pedal. Works GREAT! If your foot/leg becomes an issue let me know I can send you a pic/info

/ LS XR 31 OR 41 HYDRO QUESTIONS #8  
I have a XR4150H, love the hydro but it's my first tractor. I have no use of my right leg, or left for that matter, and have mounted a hand control on my hydro pedal. Works GREAT! If your foot/leg becomes an issue let me know I can send you a pic/info

Wow. That sounds worthy of it's own post, Randy.

I will keep that in mind! I pray that never happens but I never thought I would get injured in the first place. We are going to sign papers on it Next Week