Comparison LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both?

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #1  

1stDeuce

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1455v
Good morning TBN members! I'm getting close to needing a tractor for property development and house construction, and have come to the conclusion that an XR4145 is my preference. I have a dealer about 50 miles away that caries LS, and has a good reputation, and I'll be stopping by soon for a test drive. Alternately, I recently discovered that the TYM T454 is VERY comparable to the XR4145... The main difference that I can see is that it's red instead of blue, and 4cyl instead of 3. Rest of the tractor and features are very comparable, though the loader lifts ~13" higher. (1000lbs more breakout, 250lbs less lift to full height) Oh, and a much higher limit on hours for warranty, but I'm not likely to pile that many hours on anyway...

Any of you have any input on the TYM??

(Update: Getting quotes on both, but price is estimated to be a wash by the dealer that sells both. Service manager says Regen cycles on the TYM are similar to the 41xx series LS tractors, and that they (Legacy) see a LOT more LS tractors for warranty than TYM, though mostly ones with the previous Shibarua engines...)

Last edited:
   / LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both?
Found a few differences in the engines... The LS 41xx series are all turbocharged, while the TYM T454 is NA. The tractor will be living at 7500', so a turbo will be nice. (Typically, turbos still make rated power at altitude, while NA engines are down 2%/1000', or ~15% in my case. If I want a turbo, I'll have to step up to the T554, so that might be an option...

And according to the manual, if you don't work it hard, the TYM will ask you to do a regen, whereby you must park the tractor and run it at 2200rpm's for ~30 minutes. If you are working it hard enough, it will regen while you work. (Requires fairly high exhaust temp.)

Last edited:
   / LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #3  
Just an FYI, I have the older (a 2014) LS XR3037HC with the Shibaura engine with turbo. Currently at 138 hours with no problems. Never been back to dealer for any issues. These Shibaura engines regenerate about every 5 hours. I have never had to park it to let it regen. I do bump up the RPM's to over 2200 and continue working through the regen.

The newer 3100/4100 series that you are looking at have the LS engine. The LS engine is supposed to regen every 50 hours but from a few posts I've read on here the regen cycle seems to come on between 30-40 hours and they also continue working through the regen.

You can also look at the XR4150 or 4155.

From what I've seen using mine and read about other tier 4 engines they need to be worked at higher RPM's and require good quality fuel.

LS loaders do have a lower lift height than most other brands. I mentioned this to the LS rep. at a farm show last year that they were losing some sales because of this. I also provided him with 6 other compatible brands loader specs. He was going to bring it up at the next meeting at headquarters but I haven't seen any changes yet.

Sorry I can't help with any TYM info. The nearest TYM dealer to me is about 70 miles and wasn't selling them when I bought my LS. The TYM has a Yanmar engine according to their site.

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #4  
Legacy & altitude... Must be talking about Legacy Tractor in Ft. Collins. I'll be up there on Saturday looking at those machines. Replacing my 32hp L3200 Kubota with a cabbed machine. Looking at the 40hp hst ones. They don't have quite what I want in Stock, but have the same frame size & cab. Will end up test driving ones with a shuttle or 50hp I hear. I'm also going to be looking at Kioti NX4510. They sell Kioti, TYM & LS.

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #5  
P.S. my comparison spreadsheet is Tractor comparisons - Google Sheets

I'm leaning towards the Kubota L4060 with the 2 speed HST+, but am far from finishing test drives, much less making a decision.

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #6  
Seems like TYMs have a lot going for them -- lower cost, better color (imho) than Mahindra plus the things you mentioned -- except their dealer network. Would seriously consider the brand if there were more than like 2 dealers, all 100+ miles away. If my dealer sold both, it would be a hard decision indeed!

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #7  
I'm not looking at Mahindra at all. A friend had an older one & it was junk. Not to mention the lack of dealers around here.

Test drove JD today. The HST was really smooth, much more than Kubota. Even after fiddling with the HST responsiveness on the JD or the 1 button you press a billion times for everything on Kubota.

The L4060 is noticeably bigger than the 3039r, but noticeably smaller than the 4046r. Odd how they match up staggered a bit like that.

L4060 was about $38k without extra hydraulics. JD was over $47k with 3 remotes & TnT for a slightly smaller machine.

/ LS XR4145 or TYM T454? Anyone test drive both? #8  
I looked at some TYM's(pics only) and no dealers where close. Settled on LS xr4150hc since I had a dealer 15 mins away and another about 60 mins away. One thing I didn't like about TYM was the cab layout,some of the controls where down on the floor like an open station layout which I kind of like a nice platform to your right like the LS was(deere and kubota where too with their cab models). I did look and test the deere 3039r and deere 4044r cab models and while they are very nice tractors with nice layouts and ergonomics the price is just insane. The deere dealer quoted me for the 3039r with cab and a MMM just over 50k with just one rear remote and 3rd function, backhoe, and rear lights. And that tractor for what I need is perfect, not only the hp and such but the actual physical size because I will be in the woods a lot and stuff but for 10k Less I got the LS. I probably could have gotten the deere dealer down to 45-46k but still a lot more for a smaller tractor than what I got.

Out of all the cab layouts I tested even with kioti, massey ferguson, kubota, the deere was the nicest imo but then again at that price it should be. Best bang for buck and what seems to be an increasing popularity LS is going to be hard to beat. Deere and Kubota you're getting that support and availability though. Your money, pick what you think is going to work best for you. Might want to see how much more the 50hp LS Is over the 45, with my dealer it was 1k more. Basically the 40hp price then add 1k for 45hp and another 1k on top of that for 50hp. So you might be able to get more HP for not that much more money, if you even need it.

Another thing and this may not even matter for you, with LS is that warranty covers commercial use with no change in length. I know kubota and deere the warranty goes down to like 1 year if it's used for commercial use. Not sure how they'd know other than seeing a higher than normal amount of hours for home use I guess. The only knock on the LS that I found was the loader lift height, but I was ok with that for the savings and I figured a few scoops of dirt in the bucket will more than make up for the height needed.

Thanks for all the input fellas!
I was indeed talking to Legacy in Ft. Collins. I stopped by a few months ago and checked out their tractors when Kioti was still in the running, but I didn't really look at TYM then.

They gave me the following quotes over the phone:
TYM T454 - $25,600 (Includes nice $650 fiberglass sun shade)
TYM T554 - $26,550
LS XR4145 - $25,000
These are all shuttle shift open station. I didn't ask if that was before or after taxes... Or if I can get away with no taxes as an "internet" sale...

I'm down in the 4-corners area, so Legacy is a 8hr drive from here... There are two other TYM dealers listed in CO, but neither of them currently carry TYM. (One says they just bought a tractor and got added to the list of dealers... ??)

The closest LS dealer is about an hour from here, so I'll probably go talk to them.
Might inquire with TYM about becoming a dealer too. (Starting to get bored with my engineering consulting business.) :)

Last edited:
BTW, the tractor I've used most recently is a 2006 MF 1533, with the larger tires, and FEL/BH combo. It gets the job done, but with only 33 rated hp, and no turbo, I have to gear way down for grades at the 5500' I'm currently at. I think that because of the turbo, even the LS 4140 would be fine for me.

The only difference between the 40, 45, and 50hp LS tractors seems to be the engine calibrations... If I bought a 40, I wonder if I could either reflash, or replace the ECM to make it a 45 or 50hp?? Should have paid more attention to CAN-bus stuff when I worked in Detroit...