Considering 50hp + (Opinions)

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions) #1  

davemhughes

Silver Member
Tractor
SAME 40hp turbo charged 4cyl diesel w/fel
There is a local LS dealer about 25 miles away. I currently have a 40hp and want a little bigger and more power (50-60hp), plus want a cab, and 4x4. Run a shuttle trans currently and probably want to stay with it. Want to run a 8ft bush hog. Added lift would also be nice. Just ready for AC/Heat that a cab could offer. Running a grapple would be helpful. Maybe late fall next year to purchase or the following spring. Just starting to do the research on the LS brand. The warranty is a huge draw plus the pricing looks pretty competitive even though the local guy does try hard to not leave any money on the table, it will be my job to work hard to get a decent price. I want to be an informed buyer on the brand. If I had to do it over on my current tractor I would have bought a bigger one. Plus I would like to sort of get what I really need because at 53 years old this year I need to settle in on something and make it last.

So looking for a advise on the various LS Utility tractor models and features you have found works well and what to avoid. Of course still trying to figure out the different models in the 50-60hp range right now. But at my core I tend to lean farther toward functional items over luxury type options for tools and truck and equipment.

Thanks

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions) #2  
I think you'll find that the "power train" warranties are pretty worthless for what it will cover. The dealer is WAY more important IMO.

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions) #3  
I think you want to get the biggest hp you can afford, you are already trading up once, it will keep you from having to trade up again any time soon.

Another good reason too, is adding "air" takes hp too, so just start out big enough in the first place.

I'd want the 60hp if I was running an 8' rotary cutter around here...

SR

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions)
Thank you for the feedback. I have a little while to really look the different models over as i want to do my best to get what I want this time. I will certainly look at the 60hp minimum for an eight foot cutter.

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions) #5  
I did chuckle at your comment on at 53 needing to find what you need and settle on it. At 63 did the same thing buying used JD 5525 with cab and fel. Really enjoy the cab biggest part of the time. Sure sometimes it is a lot to watch to be sure you clear limbs but being comfortable is worth a lot and less noise.

May I suggest at 53 depending on your health, what you are doing and honestly how long you may be using this even at 53 do really look carefully at the support long term of any tractor. Know nothing of LS as far as I know no idea where a dealer is nor think have ever seen one. May be the greatest there is and who knows 100% what brand will be supporting todays machine with parts in 20 plus years.

Good point...looked at Kubota, JD, Case, and NH.....just can't justify the cost. pretty sure it's going to be a LS I purchase but you never know....Kubota would be my 2nd choice.

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions) #7  
Have you went and tested one out? I am also looking for around a 60 HP cabbed tractor. Going to really look at the LS and Mahindra brands.

I looked at a LS up close and heard it run over near Clay Center. But nothing more. Over near me there is not a close Mahindra dealer which will be a deal breaker for me as I want dealer support with in 50 miles or so.

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions) #9  
I started with a Ford 1700-4WD, around 26 hp and when I finished all the jobs around the property that could reasonably be completed - I upgraded to my Kubota M6040. I was really torn about getting a cabbed version but for the added $7K to $8K I figured I could wear Eddie Bauer in the winter and save the money. I don't do any really dusty - bush hogging - things in the summer so the cab isn't going to benefit so much then either.

I guess I'm just to "tight" and perhaps enjoy being "out in it" a little too much. What ever the reason - it certainly hasn't restrained my collection of available implements. Thank goodness I've got 80 acres of storage space.

/ Considering 50hp + (Opinions) #10  
I grew up on a farm driving everything from an 8N Ford to as large as a 9000 Ford and none of the tractors had a cab on them. We did get a combine with a cab which was great to have.
My first CUT to buy was a used Yanmar 4WD and no cab which was OK but the summers heat was a bear. One day the wife said "Why don't you get a tractor with a cab like Rodger" (Rodger is my brother in law). So I kinda jumped on that one and spent the next 6 weeks (while at work overseas) internet shopping and researching which really didn't gain me a lot of insight. Going to dealers and sitting in the seat, driving them around the lots did much more than all the internet did. After going to all the local dealers, I found the LS tractor and fell in love with it for all the extra features it had, operator comfort etc AND of course the price was great too. I ended up with a larger than I was looking for tractor with the P 7010 when I was really looking at 50HP but the price was cheaper than the other brands 50 HP tractors.
The Utility frame P7010 is a little too large for operation in confined spaces and I think I would have been better served with the next smaller sized frame in 50-60 HP

Last edited: