Backhoe or not

/ Backhoe or not #1  

purplepeopleeater

Tractor
Satoh beaver, LS 3025
buying a XG3025, dealer is offering $2k off the hoe attachment, while I don't need a BH all the time, I have 5acres, not rocks or trees but slowly developing. anyone think I'm crazy for not jumping on the deal?

/ Backhoe or not #2  
Is it $2k off after a $3k markup? What kinda final price are you being quoted for the hoe?

/ Backhoe or not
right at 3500 for the hoe if I snag it with tractor

/ Backhoe or not #4  
Looking around, the best price I see on one seems to be about five-ish grand. So it sounds like a good deal to me. It isn't hard for me to get $3500 worth of work out of one. The real question is, how about you?

/ Backhoe or not #5  
$3,500 is an excellent Backhoe price.

Do you have $3,500 worth of Backhoe work to do?

Will height of mounted Backhoe prevent inside storage?

/ Backhoe or not #6  
if you do not need it, do not get it. many folks save up jobs throughout the year or a couple years, and then rent say a mini ex (mini excavator) and get the jobs done.

example putting in new water lines, eletrical to shed, cable tv to shed, internet lines, gas line, dealing with some ditches, culverts, french drains, dealing with some stumps from cut down trees, digging out a hole for goldfish pond / koi pond, swimming pool. possibly some landscaping. digging a little hole for planting trees / bushes, digging out around home, to put in new french drain and seal on basement walls (due to leaking water in basement), pulling and putting in T posts around garden, moving stuff in/out of pickup truck / off trailer (light weight items),

if renting, if you have a truck that can pull a trailer all good, normally you can also rent a trailer at same time you rent a given piece of equipment. if no truck to pull trailer then you are at mercy of equipment rental place for delivery, which may mean wasting 1/2 a day or more waiting for them to show up to deliver.

most things can be done with hand shovel and good old hard work of labor. if you have a tractor with a FEL (front end loader) and 3pt hitch. you are pretty well set just getting 3pt hitch attachments for what ever you need. (dealing with new grass on property, dealing with rock driveway, snow plowing / moving, land scaping, post hole digging for fence lines, finishing mower for mowing the lawn, getting a tiller for a garden, etc..., etc...) if this is a case, you might be better of spending cash on 3pt hitch equipment, vs a backhoe if you have very little need for it. and get everything else that is on the long list of things to do, done and over with and move on with your life. vs eating a backhoe cash amount that you have very little need for and not letting you buy equipment that will be needed for everything else.

a 4in1 bucket for FEL might serve you better vs backhoe if lot of landscaping is needed.

instead of a backhoe go for a cab version of tractor. if dealing with ugly cold winters and removing snow from a longer driveway, or if you major allergies and mowing in summer.

TNT (top and tilt) for 3pt hitch, it replaces top link turnbuckle on 3pt hitch, and one of the turnbuckles on the lower lift arms on the 3pt hitch with a hydrualic cylinder, so you can adjust 3pt on the fly. handy for rear blade, box blade, land plane / grader scraper, and other ground engauging equipment, when dealing with rock / dirt driveways, landscaping, and like.

=================
make a list of all the odd jobs and regular jobs you need to do, and what you want to do in future, and then go from there.

generally it is always cheaper in getting FEL, tractor, CAB, backhoe, all on same sale receipt, due to you normally get a larger discount vs buying everything separately. 3pt hitch stuff can be all had from 3rd party manufactures and dealers normally at a cheaper price. but above 4 items (fel, cab, tractor, backhoe) tend to be tractor specific items that cost a good chunk of change vs everything else.

/ Backhoe or not #7  
Most tractor mounted backhoes are underpowered, hard on the tractor frames, and fairly useless in terms of cost/benefit. Had one on my previous tractor, and was the only attachment I sold with it. Most people buying them have never used a real backhoe or excavator, so they don't realize what a piece of crap they have, thus continuing the sale of them.

Spend your money on buying an older, REAL machine, or on the rental of one....you'll be far better off.

/ Backhoe or not #8  
Sounds like good deal if you had use to get your money back,but nice cab or even attachments I would seek...guess you gotta go w/your gut feelings.

/ Backhoe or not #9  
Most tractor mounted backhoes are underpowered, hard on the tractor frames, and fairly useless in terms of cost/benefit. Had one on my previous tractor, and was the only attachment I sold with it. Most people buying them have never used a real backhoe or excavator, so they don't realize what a piece of crap they have, thus continuing the sale of them.

Spend your money on buying an older, REAL machine, or on the rental of one....you'll be far better off.
I cant really disagree with this although I have to say that many to most jobs that you will use your tractor with a backhoe attachment wont require a full sized backhoe. I use mine to plant trees, dig rocks and occasionally dig trenches for water lines or dig up a leaking faucet. I could do these jobs with a shovel, but with my bad back, I might be down for a week afterwards.
You have to realize the limitations of the small tractors with hoe attachments. They can do a lot of work although slowly compared to a full size hoe. It all depends on your situation, time constraints etc as to whether a $3500 investment is worth it. For me it is. Most jobs would just go undone if I had to put on a list and wait for a full rental rated day to get done. There is nothing like just going to your storage shed and getting your TLB to do a 5 minute job without having to travel 30 miles, rent a trailer (possibly) and drag an excavator back to work on a list (assuming that you can still identify the items listed). For ME, a $3500 investment is much cheaper ( I spent $20K for my B26 TLB)than a possible doctor or hospital visit not to mention the pain involved with a thrown out back.

/ Backhoe or not #10  
I cant really disagree with this although I have to say that many to most jobs that you will use your tractor with a backhoe attachment wont require a full sized backhoe. I use mine to plant trees, dig rocks and occasionally dig trenches for water lines or dig up a leaking faucet. I could do these jobs with a shovel, but with my bad back, I might be down for a week afterwards.
You have to realize the limitations of the small tractors with hoe attachments. They can do a lot of work although slowly compared to a full size hoe. It all depends on your situation, time constraints etc as to whether a $3500 investment is worth it. For me it is. Most jobs would just go undone if I had to put on a list and wait for a full rental rated day to get done. There is nothing like just going to your storage shed and getting your TLB to do a 5 minute job without having to travel 30 miles, rent a trailer (possibly) and drag an excavator back to work on a list (assuming that you can still identify the items listed). For ME, a $3500 investment is much cheaper ( I spent $20K for my B26 TLB)than a possible doctor or hospital visit not to mention the pain involved with a thrown out back.

I agree with Gary.

One thing overlooked is that you don't really have to get '$3500 of use' out of it. It will retain most of that value if you decide you want to sell it.

The rental idea just doesn't work for me. I need it for an hour or so at a time, rather than all day on a big project.
I treat it like an overgrown shovel. It makes lots of jobs easier.

Tim