Would you buy an LS again?

/ Would you buy an LS again? #1  

danisiri

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060HDC12
I have owned a XR4040H since Mar 2015. I've only been able to put 35hours on it, because it keeps having problems - the worse of which is a problem with the DPF and ending up in limp mode. I've had it go to the dealer a few times and they've come out to my place before too. They're still trying to figure out what's wrong.

When it works, it's a great tractor. But, with the bumper-to-bumper warranty ending, I am leery of it failing again. The dealer has been fantastic in trying to help us reach a resolution.

Anyway, we are thinking we have a lemon and just want to trade it in. We would go for another LS, probably a XU6168CPS, but with the dealer 40 miles away and having to have it transported for service, I wonder if I should just pay 15-25% more for a major brand that has a dealer in town. In town, I can get pretty much every other brand and they are all about six miles from my farm.

But, I'm also thinking I would get more on a trade-in from a LS dealer than someplace else.

What is everyone's opinion?

/ Would you buy an LS again? #2  
I have a Montana 2844 which was made by LS. I bought it for $9K with 175 hours on it and have put on a hundred hours or so. It has been 100% reliable for me, only issue has been 2 hydraulic hoses that went. Mine was named the little giant by Montana, and that describes it nicely. It is larger than all of the other tractors in the 25-30hp range I looked at. It can lift over 2000 lbs with the FEL, much higher than the other tractors in its range. Of course, keeping the back end on the ground is a requirement, but the 3 point lift is 2600 lbs, so I can add a lot of weight if necessary.

Sorry your experience has been different. 40 miles vs 6 is a big difference, so I would take a look at the other brands. There are a lot of good tractors out there. LS happens to be at the top of the list for bang for the buck. I've heard similar things for Mahindra. Deere and Kubota will be more expensive, but they are good machines too. I would visit the dealers and buy from the one you like the most.

/ Would you buy an LS again? #3  
I have just over 20 hours on my 3135 so not too much experience with it, but I love it. Like anything mechanical, tractor, car, boat, etc. every manufacturer has had a lemon and a nightmare for a customer. You just hope you never get it. Look at it this way what are the odds that you could get 2 lemons? :thumbsup:

/ Would you buy an LS again? #4  
Sorry to hear of your limp mode problem.
I have the XR3037HC. Bought in Feb 2014 so, just over 3 years old now. I have about 190 hours on it and (Knock on wood) it has never gone into limp mode nor been to a dealer for any trouble or repairs. Has your dealer spoken with an LS rep about the problem with your 4040? I'd guess it is an ECU problem but I'm not a tractor mechanic. There have been very few electrical problems with LS that I've read about so maybe you're the unfortunate person to get one. I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in on an XU6168CPS but you're going to have to make that call. You mentioned you will have to pay the 15-25% for a closer major brand plus more loss trading the LS in at one of those dealers. At only 35 hours they should give a decent trade in on that XU.
I consider my LS on par with JD, Mahindra and Kubota but at a much better price. Once their reputation gets built up they will get closer in price.

/ Would you buy an LS again? #5  
I bought one of the first LS tractors out (2010 P7010) and other than some major mishandling on my part, nothing has needed repair. I did break a front drive shaft pulling a stump in L1 just creaping forward and the chain broke causing the front drive shaft to shear. Broke the drawbar belly mount bracket trying to pull out a stuck 18 yard dump truck. Both items were repaired under warranty by my dealer (more on this to follow). The fuel tank also leaked (I got a new tank still in the box that I have not installed ) but while waiting for the new tank to come in, I JBWELDed the cracked spots and did some re-engineering on the weed guard which LS also changed up with the new design. Other than that, a seat bracket broke, I welded it up but they sent me a new one anyway at no cost.

No problem ever with the powertrain or hydraulics (LS doesn't consider the front drive shaft to be part of the powertrain) but the dealer fixed it on his dime. All in, I would buy another one if I ever needed a new tractor.

/ Would you buy an LS again? #6  
I would definitely buy an LS again. BIL is looking at a SCUT and we are looking hard at LS but that is his call.

I agree with what everyone above is saying. LS's call is bang for the buck. With tractors the higher price pays for the bigger dealer networks.

It is unfortunate that your dealer doesn't have the knowledge to fix the tractor. Something's wrong with it and it can be reparied. There are very few problems reported with those tractors. While I am not a certified tractor mechanic, I would love to have that tractor in my shop with a key to the computer software.

Seems like your not happy with the LS, sounds like it may be time for a change. Best of luck with your decision.

/ Would you buy an LS again? #7  
I have a 2015 model XG3037 (bought new in April 2015) and have 120 hours on it. Absolutely love it. Have past experience with Ford, Case, and JD, and my LS is every bit as good, if not better.

Only issue I have had is that it went into limp mode twice (both times while brush hogging tall grass). As it turned out, the screen on the front of the radiator was clogged causing the high water temp safety sensor to put it into limp mode to cool down. Figured it out from the pictures of the dashboard that I took each time it went into limp mode....didn't notice the temp gauge till I looked at the pictures.

Needless to say, I keep a better eye on the temp gauge and periodically stop and clean the screen when mowing. Have had no issue since.

Sorry your experience hasn't been the best. Tough decision to make and I wish you the best.

/ Would you buy an LS again? #8  
(LS doesn't consider the front drive shaft to be part of the powertrain)

How is that possible?! Do you know if this is true of other manufacturers?

/ Would you buy an LS again?
Sorry to hear of your limp mode problem.
I have the XR3037HC. Bought in Feb 2014 so, just over 3 years old now. I have about 190 hours on it and (Knock on wood) it has never gone into limp mode nor been to a dealer for any trouble or repairs. Has your dealer spoken with an LS rep about the problem with your 4040? I'd guess it is an ECU problem but I'm not a tractor mechanic. There have been very few electrical problems with LS that I've read about so maybe you're the unfortunate person to get one. I wouldn't hesitate to trade it in on an XU6168CPS but you're going to have to make that call. You mentioned you will have to pay the 15-25% for a closer major brand plus more loss trading the LS in at one of those dealers. At only 35 hours they should give a decent trade in on that XU.
I consider my LS on par with JD, Mahindra and Kubota but at a much better price. Once their reputation gets built up they will get closer in price.

The dealer's mechanics have plugged in their computers and tested all the wiring. They keep ordering part after part from LS to get it fixed, but it is still giving problems.

I so want to give LS another chance (who wants to pay more money). But, I also want piece of mind, lol. It's a tough choice. If I stayed local, I'd probably go Kubota. I know a lot of the guys at the NH dealership, but aren't most of the NH tractors just more expensive LS tractors with NH skin?

/ Would you buy an LS again? #10  
The dealer's mechanics have plugged in their computers and tested all the wiring. They keep ordering part after part from LS to get it fixed, but it is still giving problems.

I so want to give LS another chance (who wants to pay more money). But, I also want piece of mind, lol. It's a tough choice. If I stayed local, I'd probably go Kubota. I know a lot of the guys at the NH dealership, but aren't most of the NH tractors just more expensive LS tractors with NH skin?

Yes, The Boomer and some Workmaster series have LS roots.