Buying Advice LS XR 4100 Series Options

/ LS XR 4100 Series Options #1  

Snowman87

Bronze Member
Tractor
LS XR4155HC
So long story short I'm looking at a few different LS XR4100 series tractors and would like some input from the forum members. I started off with a variety of brands and models, and it seems like the LS XR series has a great inclusive offering (rear remotes, cruise, etc.) and I like the dealer I've been working with. I've checked out both the 3100 series and 4100 series and for the money/capabilities I think the 4100 series is the way to go. My planned uses include the following:

- Maintaining a gravel driveway
- Redo about 3 acres of my yard - sloping, spreading some black dirt, harley rake, etc.
- Brush clearing - have some overgrown areas that I'd like to clean up
- Snow removal in the winter
- Running a finish mower on the large flat portions of my lawn
- Cleaning up some fill piles left over from various construction projects
- Cleaning up a large burn piles and left over stumps
- Large garden some day
- Making small square/round bales on 20 acres. Is this doable with this size tractor?

My dealer has a new XR4140HC on the lot as well as a low hour used XR4155HC. The 4155 was a 2 month lease and they left the loader at his shop because they didn't use it at all, just pulled a finish mower. The 4155 has just under 50 hours but the only bummer is the glass is broken out of the right hand door, so it's been sitting in the elements for a couple weeks now. :( I saw it when I first checked out the dealers lot a couple weeks ago, but didn't look very close as I figured it was someones tractor waiting for service. The dealer will sell me that for $2,000 over the price of the 4140 which is about half the cost to upgrade at $1,500 for each additional 5 hp.

I think with the potential for working 20 acres making small squares I would want the extra PTO power if it is reasonable with the right cutting, raking, baling equipment. Otherwise I feel like I'd be better off with the 40 HP model and saving the extra money for implements or an older gear drive tractor for baling hay. It would just be hard to leave a new cab tractor and jump on an older open tractor. :D

Please comment :thumbsup:

/ LS XR 4100 Series Options #2  
I can confirm that 55hp is plenty for haying. My MF1455 (55hp) was used for haying about 30 acres by the previous owners. (That's ALL they used it for...)
a 40hp might work pretty hard running a bailer, but I bet it would get the job done. It's the same engine as the 4155, so it's not like you're going to hurt it running it near it's max (computer determined) 40hp output...

For all other activities, the 4140 would surely be sufficient, and I think you'll appreciate the larger size and weight of the 41 series over the 31 series. (And the larger front tires, if the ground is soft... tires on 3 series LS tractors are proportioned like legs on a T-Rex.)

I'd see if the dealer will throw in a box blade, and replace the window on the 4155 at the +2k price. If they will, sign. :)

/ LS XR 4100 Series Options
Wow, 153 views and only 1 response :confused3: Thanks 1stDeuce for the input. I agree that for most the other work I have planned the 40 hp model would have been sufficient, but think that I'll be very happy with the 15 extra hp doing any PTO related hay work. That said, I made the call to go with the XR 4155HC :thumbsup:

Here's the details on the purchase for those that are interested:

- I went to the dealer and took a look at the tractor. Confirmed that the loader is brand new, sitting off to the side. Tractor looked to be in great shape with 49 hours on the clock, so everything seemed to jive with the dealers story that it was only used to pull a large tow behind mower for a local airport.

- Dealer is going to perform 50 hour service, fluid fill the tires, replace the broken glass door, and give the tractor a quick detail job.

- Dealer is going to install a front remote hydraulic outlet kit. Sounds like they do this quite often - run hard plumbing on the boom and a set of hoses from one of the rear remotes. I would love to buy the WR long kit to do it "the right way" but I'm not sure I'll be doing enough grapple work to justify the additional cost over the ~$250 the dealer is charging for this setup. Either way it will get me functionality for now for the little bit of grapple work I have planned.

- Dealer is going to install a hydraulic top link kit for ~$200. I contacted Fit Rite and would really like to support Brian, but he's a few months out at the moment and I'd like it now so I can get to work. That said, if I use it enough maybe I can ask my wife to buy me a hydraulic tilt for Christmas :)

- Dealer is going to include for "free" a 3 pt. quick hitch, pallet forks, and the remote 3 pt. raise/lower kit found on the most recent models

- Dealer is going to give me a few weekend rental on 3 different implements - tiller, no till seeder, and rock bucket

- Dealer is going to deliver it for free and is agreeing to pickup and deliver it for any service work that is needed under warranty (this is great since I don't have a trailer!)

Total came to ~$29k before WI state tax. While that's a lot more than I planned to spend when I started my tractor search I'm super excited and ready to put it to work! Just signed my loan paper work and working with the dealer to see when we can get a delivery on the books. :drink:

/ LS XR 4100 Series Options #4  
Congrats on the new tractor and welcome to TBN.
Sounds like you've found a good dealer. You're having some good options, and getting some freebies and pickup and delivery for warranty work. Price sounds very good too for a 4155HC. That's only about 5K more than I paid for my XR3037HC T-Rex which is fine for my needs.
I viewed this the other day but didn't know the prices or differences in prices on the 4100 series so I didn't reply.

/ LS XR 4100 Series Options #5  
Congratulations! Sounds like a good deal and I don't think you will regret the extra HP. I too had my dealer run hoses from front to back for a grapple and auger. It works just fine, just remember to disconnect the rear hoses when not in use. I left mine connected without being connected in the front and pressure locked the fittings. Had to remove the hose mounts and loosen fittings to relieve the pressure, oops... Enjoy your new toy.

Congratulations! Sounds like a good deal and I don't think you will regret the extra HP. I too had my dealer run hoses from front to back for a grapple and auger. It works just fine, just remember to disconnect the rear hoses when not in use. I left mine connected without being connected in the front and pressure locked the fittings. Had to remove the hose mounts and loosen fittings to relieve the pressure, oops... Enjoy your new toy.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure it will still happen at least once!

/ LS XR 4100 Series Options #7  
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm sure it will still happen at least once!

It also helps relieve pressure by moving the remote levers after you have shut the tractor off. Since doing that my couplers disconnect fairly easy.

/ LS XR 4100 Series Options #8  
Sounds like a great deal. Did you get a chance to test drive it with the loader attached? I'm always cautious about something that was leased out even with that few hours. Dealers are lot more motivated to fix an issue when they haven't been paid yet. I've been happy with my tractor in the first 40 hours. No real issues other than a defective hydraulic breather that I fixed in about 2 minutes. If you are going to want to do any serious grapple work, you'll want to eventually get a 3rd function set up.

Sounds like a great deal. Did you get a chance to test drive it with the loader attached? I'm always cautious about something that was leased out even with that few hours. Dealers are lot more motivated to fix an issue when they haven't been paid yet. I've been happy with my tractor in the first 40 hours. No real issues other than a defective hydraulic breather that I fixed in about 2 minutes. If you are going to want to do any serious grapple work, you'll want to eventually get a 3rd function set up.

Thanks for the suggestion. I drove the tractor around but haven't tried out the loader yet. Dealer was good with verbal intent so I didn't sign any papers. I think he knows I'm serious since I've been the 4 times in the last couple weeks!

After they get everything done on my check list I plan to run it around the lot and test everything out the best I can before writing the check. Agreed that things typically get fixed much faster before the money is handed over.

This is a smaller dealership and the sales guy has seemingly been very straight forward, not the typical pushy slick salesman. They switched from selling Deere for 20 years because of poor support from Deere when their customers had issues. They've been selling LS for about 2 years and he's got just under 60 tractors out there, with very few service calls.

He said he's leased to this particular guy a number if times. He pays good money to lease the tractors and gives him some options for his customers. I would be more nervous if the loader was on it and the bucket was all beat up. I'm guessing this guy leases to drive new stuff to not deal with any issues and just writes off the expense.

At this point I really only plan to use the grapple for cleaning up the remaining stumps from a burn pile. Figured it would be faster than chaining things to the bucket. I don't own a grapple but my father-in-law does, so I'll just be borrowing it.