G3038 upgrade?

/ G3038 upgrade? #1  

sw99

Silver Member
Tractor
LS G3038
A few things here;

-Dealer I bought the G3038 from a few years back now, sold me a 2015 model on paper but I realized just recently that mine is a 2014 model. I'm not angry about it and who knows, maybe it's better since that was the time they were transitioning to the tier 4 stuff so I have no regens to worry about.

-I did the one up sizing theory when I bought this. The G3033 is what I originally looked at and ended up going with the 5 hp more 3038. The more I use this, I wonder if a 40 hp would be a bit better because we have a ton of soft sand in the fields here, like 95%. I also think maybe the cab model is the way to go for heating and cooling.

I only have 150 hours on this and dont want to loose money so a private sale would be a must. Is the cab and newer models worth spending the extra money or am I better off keeping this ol' gal? I must say, that this has done everything I have needed so far. I have needed or could have benefited from more loader capacity but it has done the job so fer.

Thanks for the thoughts and opinions on this.

/ G3038 upgrade? #2  
As the owner of a tier 4 cabbed tractor I'll give you my opinion. I previously had a tier 4 interim (no regen) open station tractor like you.

I got tired of cold winters and needed a little more HP and lift capacities so I decided to get a cabbed tractor with heat and A/C and bumped up from 26 to 36HP. The cab is great on those cold winter days and hot summers.

I also went with the XR series premium model which has more standard options than an XG series.
I believe my XR3037HC w/ Shibaura engine has been discontinued (XR3000 & 4000 series) according to some sites and replaced with the new 3100/4100 series tractors which come with the LS engine. Nothing wrong with that and there may still be some 3000/4000 series leftovers out there that can be bought for less than new models.

The newer series has close to 50 hr. regen cycles compared with 5 hr. cycles on mine.
My tractor is 4 years old next week, has about 240 hours and regen cycles have never been a problem. Unless I look at the dash I hardly even know its regenerating. IMO as long as you keep the RPM's up and use quality fuel you'll have no worries re: regeneration cycles.

At 150 hours I doubt you'll lose much selling outright. I paid 14K for my 26HP tractor in 2004 and sold it for 11,500 in 2014 ten years later with about 450 hours on it. If your 3038 is also a tier 4 interim engine you should get a good value for it. Sold mine on CL in about a week.

The 40-45 HP LS do have larger wider tires and higher capacities than your 3038 or my 3037 so should be better on sandy soil IMO.

Trading up would be your decision but I don't think you'd be sorry if you did. I'd LIKE to have a 45-50HP cabbed tractor but don't have a NEED to upgrade. For my limited use of about 60 plus hours a year my 3037 will outlast me.

/ G3038 upgrade?
Thanks for the info. I really like the XR4145 but i'm trying to determine if its worth another 10k of what mine would sell for. The older I get, the cab does sound nice and the extra 7hp would certainly help.